Chapter 4 - Untamed Confusion

HARPER:

I leaned against the sink of dirty dishes. My jaw clenched tightly as I stared at the wall. I hadn't seen him in ten years. Ten fucking years. And here he was.

I had loved him. I had loved him more than anything I thought was possible. He had broken my world. Shattered it into millions of tiny pieces. If he would have come back I would have forgiven and forgotten, but he had stayed away. He had stayed away far too long for me to just forget and move on.

I did move on. What am I thinking? He hasn't been a part of my life in a decade. I'm my own woman. I'm strong. If he thinks he can just...

"You okay?" Justin Sharp flipped an egg, shooting me a glance.

I stared at the dirty water for a second, pushing myself away. "Yeah, I'm fine."

He snorted. "Okay."

"I mean who does he think he is to just waltz into my café? My café! After how long? Ten years, Justin! Ten years! Ugh!" My fists were clenched just as tight as my jaw. I blew a strand of red hair from my face.

Flipping another egg, Justin nodded calmly. "The nerve."

"You're damn right! How dare he have the nerve to..." I stared at his cornflower blue eyes. They were so bright, so mesmerizing, and they stopped me mid-sentence. I felt my heart flutter, but stood up straighter, squaring my shoulders defiantly.

"Have the nerve to... what, Harper?" His rough voice was smooth. Too damn smooth.

I swallowed the saliva building, trying to keep my thoughts straight. They were jumbling though. What had I just been saying? I was sure it had been something important.

Pinching my lips tight, I didn't offer him an answer.

"I'm guessing you're the one that has her panties up in a bunch?" Justin glanced over before sliding the eggs on to the plate.

Shut up, Justin!

"Panties in a bunch?" Mason took a step forward, pushing me to take a step back.

I fought the color filling my cheeks. "You're not allowed back here."

Weak! That was weak, Harper!

He looked down at his plate and back up at me, his eyes heating up my insides in an unnatural way. "I needed to return this burger. It's not up to par."

Not up to par? How dare he!

"My food is always up to par, Mason." I folded my arms in front of my chest, careful not to push up too much to get his attention.

His eyes flicked down to where my arms were and lingered for a moment.

I should have worn my more conservative outfit today!

"Don't drool." I retorted, narrowing my eyes.

His lips twitched, hiding his smile. "I could do a great many things, Harper. Drooling is not one of them. Unless..."

"Unless what?" I arched a brow, tapping my foot impatiently.

"Unless you were into that." His voice had grown lower. Darker. Sexier.

I blinked.

He did not just say that.

"Oh please, we're not in high school anymore." Yet part of me wished we were.

Justin cleared his throat. His gaze flitting between the two of us. "Nobody's in here right now. I'm just going to take my eggs out back and have my break."