Chapter 36 - Bone Crunching Pain Dazzled In Truth Bombs

Mason's POV:

My eyes opened as soon as water filled my nostrils. Blinking, I struggled against the enemy pushing me deeper. Bubbles floated from the air being sucked from my mouth and nose. Panic seized me, making my all ready limited breath seem like I was closer to death than before. For a moment I was back in the truck with my brother, sinking to the bottom of the pond.

Pinching my mouth shut, I stopped struggling. Maybe this was my fate. This was what I deserved.

Remembering how I got here and whom I got here with brought back a different fear. I wasn't here alone. I still had a reason to fight. Clenching my jaw, my hands felt around outside the water until I grabbed the edge of whatever type of container I was being bent into. Gripping hard, I pushed up like my life depended on every ounce of strength I could muster. Growling out bubbles, I shoved up and against the weight of the being holding me down until I came into the oxygen I needed.

Stumbling back, I landed on my captor. Rolling off of him, I gasped for air; spitting and spewing out the water that had all ready filled my mouth and lungs.

"Didn't take you as a fainter." Ricci casually stared at me from his chair.

"How long was I out?" I ran an arm over my water filled eyes, unsteadily standing up. I was still a little too disoriented to be angry.

"Ten minutes. Give or take." Ricci stood up from his chair. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled something small enough to fit into his hand.

Glancing around, my eyes fell upon Smitty's limp body. His toes had been wrapped, but the rest of his body looked just as rough as when I had left it minutes ago.

"You wanted to know what I had planned for you, Vitali?" The words were a tease; one that I caught hook, line, and sinker.

My gaze snapped back to Ricci; the movement sending my hand up to my still burning neck. "You don't want me dead, so I assume you have plans for me."

"I do." He paused, reaching into his pocket for his phone. The vibration filled the room, the only sound that brought everyone's gaze to it. Growling, he read the caller id. "What now?"

Popping the phone open, his eyes narrowed. "Unless you have something good, I don't want to hear your voice right now."

Pinching the bridge of his nose, Ricci rolled his eyes. "I don't want to hear your fucking apologies. Two of my wives and our children are having who knows what done to them because of your lack of skills!"

My ears perked up as I glanced over at Smitty. His eyes were barely open, but I could tell he was listening too. Maybe we were being kept alive as a bargaining chip.

"Are you sure?" Ricci glanced over at me, his focus still on the conversation. "Well when did they leave?"

Growling, Ricci threw up his hands, shaking his head in frustration. "That's not helpful! Call me when you have more details!"

"Who left?" I arched a brow. I was probably overstepping the boundaries, but I was curious.

"Your fucking mistress!" Ricci shook his head again as he shoved the phone back in his pocket. Letting out a heavy breath, he calmed himself down. "Doesn't matter. I'm sure we'll have time."

"Time for what?" I swallowed, the motion irritating my water scorched throat.

"For me to finish telling you my plan for your life." He grinned, the gesture sickening.

A hand on my shoulder pushed me to my knees. His steel grip shoved new cuffs on my wrists before I had a chance to struggle free. I hadn't even realized my chains had been removed. "What the---"