Chapter 5 - Quit Walking Away

MASON:

"No, Ma. She made it very clear she didn't want to see me again." I dried a plate, setting it on the pile of all ready cleaned and dried dishes.

"Did you put on the charm? You have the cutest smile, baby." She cupped my cheek, flashing me a smile of encouragement before grabbing the pile of clean plates to put away.

I thought back to earlier that afternoon, Harper's ragged breaths and warm body pressed against mine. I numbly nodded, still buried in the thought. "I put on the charm, Ma."

"I don't know how she could turn you down then." She shook her head, shutting the cabinet door quietly. "Maybe you should write her a letter?"

I chuckled, shaking my head. "I'm pretty sure she'd tear it up in front of my face and burn the pieces with that glare she has."

"Hmm, she does have a pretty cold glare, doesn't she?" My mother rubbed her chin thoughtfully. "Maybe..."

"It doesn't matter, Ma. I hurt her and she resents me for that. I can't blame her there." I tried to give her a small smile, but it turned into a sad grimace instead. I didn't deserve a second chance. I wasn't even sure why I had gone to see her anyway. We couldn't become anything.

"Did you apologize?" She stuffed a few glasses up in the cabinet before facing me, an expectant look on her face.

I swallowed, shaking my head in shame. I could have at least done that.

"Maybe you should do that, sweetheart." She rubbed my shoulder, grabbing a washcloth and heading to the table.

"I don't know what good it would do. I'm heading back in a few days. I could barely spare this many days from work, I can't afford to stay any longer." I knew my mother didn't want to hear that. It'd been years since I'd visited them. She'd missed me. My father on the other hand didn't seem to care whether I was there or not. His grudge was still against me.

A ding stopped my mother from saying anything. Sighing, I tugged out my phone. It'd been beeping off and on all afternoon.

"Honey, you're supposed to be taking time off." My mother complained, but she didn't push the subject.

"I know. I just have some pretty important shipments coming through and I just need to make sure everything's all right." I typed in my code and pulled up my messages.

Fletcher: "I dealt with the Albanians. Everything is all good." Steeple hands followed his message.

Shaking my head at his exaggeration of needing prayers sent his way, I scrolled down further.

Audrielle: "Seriously, Vitali, I am not a patient woman. CALL ME!!!"

A clasp of thunder brought up my attention. Had it really been raining while we did the dishes? Shaking my head at my lack of observation, I looked up at my watchful mother.

"I have to make a call, Ma." I flashed her a sympathetic look. "Forgive me?"

She gave me a low growl. "Vacation, Mason. You're on V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N."

"I know, I know. It's important." I gave her my best puppy eyes, hoping she'd understand.

Sighing, she nodded. "It always is."

"That's not fair, Ma." I felt guilty, but if Audrielle sent two texts in one day something serious must be up.

She stared at me, a hard look softening up. "You're right. Take your call."

The screech of breaks drew my attention to the window. An old truck had parked, windshield wipers working overtime.

"Are you expecting anyone?" I looked to my mother expectantly. She shook her head, drawing my curiosity back to the window. "Well, someone's here."