Chapter 7 - Regrets And Unexpected... Forgiveness?

Mason's POV:

It killed me to walk out of that room. To walk away from Harper. She was wearing my sweatshirt. My scent was on that. On her. And I wanted every inch of her to be covered in me.

But duty called.

The disappointment in her eyes tore away at my heart. Hardening my jaw, I stalked out of that room knowing that if I didn't go now that I wouldn't leave her.

The second I was out of the room, I put some distance between us. Detaching myself from any form of feeling, I put on the best boss attitude I could. I had to be in charge. If I wasn't, then who really was?

"I told you to call me." The French accent did wonders for both men and women alike, but there was nothing about Audrielle that captured my interest. She was attractive, I'd give her that, but she was lethal. A dangerous force that many underestimated.

"Haven't you heard? I'm on vacation." My tone was flat to hide my irritation.

"People like us do not take vacations, my dear Mason." I could see her checking her perfectly manicured nails for any imperfections as she spoke. "I heard you're down a secretary."

I bit back my sigh. "Don't play games with me, Audrielle. What do you know?"

Her laugh was dry, taking me by surprise. "You know I only share information in the form of trades."

Of course. As usual she was going to be a pain in my...

"Mason, dear, are you listening to me?"

"I have nobody else around me to listen to, Audrielle."

"Well, considering I'm not near wherever godforsaken place you're in, I would not know that." Pristine. That was a good word for her.

Trying not to roll my eyes, I decided to bite. "Why do you think I'd care why my secretary quit?"

"Because sweet, dear Lauren, didn't quit, Mason. She was killed. As a message for you." Her bored tone held the smallest bit of sympathy. "It's a shame really. I was rather fond of Lauren whenever I had the pleasure of speaking with her. I even tried to steal her away from you at one point."

Of course she did...

Rubbing the bridge of my nose, I closed my eyes. Lauren was a good girl. She kept her mouth shut and did her job, saving me both time and money. I never had to worry about trusting her.

"Who did it to her?" I tried to keep my tone level, but I couldn't keep the stress from bringing on a migraine.

"I expect five free shipping dates."

Biting back a growl, I unclenched my suddenly tight fist. "Two."

"Four."

"I thought you said you liked Lauren?" Time to play with some emotions.

I heard her sigh on the other end. "I did like the girl. I'll meet you at three, Mason, for the sake of your loss."

Nodding, I ignored the ache in my chest. Another death to add to my count. "It's a deal."

"How is your boy Fletcher doing?" The way she spoke sent a chill up my spine.

"Audrielle..." I growled out her name; a warning she needed to heed.

"Relax, Mason. I'm not threatening him." I could practically feel her rolling her eyes at me. "I had heard rumors that he had some previous ties with the Italians in Canada."