Chapter 12 - Loyalties In Question

Harper's POV:

"You're going out of town again, O'Sullivan?" Smitty leaned against my office door, his arms folded in front of him.

I hummed an answer, trying to focus on typing out some invoices and paperwork. I'd tried to tune the man out, but he liked to keep invading my space. "Got a problem with it, Smitty?"

"Nope, but with the Gala less than a week away it makes me curious as to where your priorities are." He waited for me to look up at him. "Your priorities are still with your people, aren't they?"

My eyes narrowed as I stood up. "You dare question where my loyalties lie?"

"I just want to hear it for myself."

My blood felt like it was boiling that he dared question me. Shutting my laptop lid, I stepped around my desk.

Standing straighter, Smitty stared down at me.

Chin tipped up, shoulders squared, and a look that could wither, I stood toe to toe with the man. Calmly breathing in and out, I waited for him to flinch. He really didn't look the least bit phased with my less than imposing figure. In fact, a smile ticked at the edge of his mouth, eliciting a growl from me.

"Damn it, Smitty!" I shoved him and twisted around. "Do you have a suit?"

"I'm getting fitted tomorrow." A tease of a smile twisted his features briefly.

"I all ready have my dress. The arrangements have been made. I am ready for the Gala. I will put our people back on the map." Twisting around, I pointed a finger in his direction. "Do not dare question my loyalties again."

"Then where have you been going?" He waited patiently for me to answer him, as if I somehow was required to tell him of my whereabouts.

"I tell you a lot, Smitty. Some things though are meant to remain quiet." I reminded him, narrowing my eyes as he rolled his.

"Gosh, Harp, for how much you trust me, you really don't trust me." His mouth twisted to the side in mock hurt.

Sighing, I shook my head. "Smitty, for both your protection and mine, I don't tell you everything. We have had a decade of peace other than Ricci's occasional attacks to our people. Why would I tell you something that could be tortured out of you? I don't expect you to protect me."

His eyes darkened, as he stood straighter and walked toward me. "I am one of your men, O'Sullivan. I would sooner die than tell anyone anything that would hurt you or our people."

Taking a step away from leaning against my desk, my arms dropped to my sides. Watching him carefully, I could feel the power radiating from his words. He would never betray me.

Rolling up his sleeve, he held up a tattoo --- a snake slithering out of a skull with a four-leaf clover stamped on the forehead. "Mob fiadhaich airson beatha." Irish mob for life.

Holding up my arm, I bowed my head. "Mob fiadhaich airson beatha."

Dropping to a knee, Smitty met my surprised gaze. "Bidh mi beo fada bho mo bhanrigh." Long live my queen.

I wanted to stumble back. I knew he knew Gaelic and I had made it a point to learn my native tongue as well, but to hear him announce his loyalties so quickly and smoothly made me question if I was doing everything I needed to for my people.

Squaring my shoulders, I held myself like a queen should. "I appreciate the support, Smitty, but until I prove myself---"

"You found jobs for our people that didn't have a job. You got our people living on the streets off and in homes. You are about to put your life on the line to avenge our murdered leader. As far as I'm concerned, O'Sullivan, you are our queen all ready. You took the role and you made it yours. You are giving our people hope. Over fifty more of our people have pledged their loyalty to you over the past week. Never let them hear you question yourself. You be who we need you to be."

Meeting his gaze, I gave him a sharp nod. "I am Siobhan O'Sullivan. The Queen of the Irish Mob. The leader of my people. I will be who they need me to be."

A slow, vicious smile spread across Smitty's face and I questioned where his thoughts were. "Yes, you are. Are you ready to go to war, my queen?"

"I am ready to bring Alec Ricci to his knees and make him beg for his life. I am ready for our people to no longer be oppressed by his ruthless dictatorship." Reaching for my second-in-command's hand, I pulled him to his feet. "I am ready for war."

Twisting away, I could almost feel Smitty's smile as he walked away from me. "Good."

A fire wielded through me as I watched him leave my office, closing the door behind him. I was ready for a war. I'd been ready for one since finding out the truth. I'd been undisciplined and unprepared at that time, but things had changed. Years of training and learning how to fight both saved me and fueled me to becoming the woman I am today.

Reaching back I snatched my phone from the desk. Typing in a number I waited for it to ring. And it rang. And it rang.

Of course now you're unavailable to answer my phone calls.

Blowing my bangs out of my face, I arched a brow as I waited for the answering machine to begin. I listened to Mason's short, professional intro before the beep. His voice was a beautiful thing. That beauty made me regret my next words, but they were necessary. Smitty was right; I had been gone too much. I needed to be focused for this to work. Our future depended upon it.

"Mason..." I scratched my upper lip, my eyes following the edge of my desk as I thought of the right words to say. The right excuse to keep him unconcerned and less of a distraction. "Something came up. I'm going to have to reschedule our meeting for in about two weeks. I will talk to you soon."

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I realized how impersonal that sounded. Fighting a sigh, I clutched the phone a little tighter. "I miss you."

With that I hung up the phone, hugging it to my chest as I thought about that being one of the last interactions with him. I didn't know how this Gala was going to go. I didn't know what was going to change afterward. My world could be changing enough to turn my life upside down. I just didn't know. All I did know was that I was about to come out of the event with more blood on my hands than I'd all ready acquired. I didn't deserve to be vying for Mason's attention. I was far from innocent and a lot less the perfect angel he deserves. I was scathed, violated by the violence I was now beginning to crave. My father may have been taken from me, but his taste for violence was still coursing through my veins --- my own blood impatiently waiting to spill that of another's. I was ready for my revenge and I would stop at nothing to get it.