Block Like No Tomorrow

"Who is she?" I ask as Derrick makes another amazing run.

"It's Marie Fiorm, the goth girl I mentioned." Kyle said behind the fans thunderous roar.

"Carol had black hair in the footage. Plus, she probably doesn't have too much pull here."

"She dyes her hair often and she is still a clique leader. Carol can get in people's heads and make them paranoid. Don't take her for granted. Remember how you did that with Tyson?"

I then see him point over my shoulder to the tight end. His jersey reads "Murdock." Tyson hasn't done anything all game thanks to Derrick. I see Tyson look over to Kyle, the rest of the group, and myself. I can't see his face but something tells me he's grinning. I become immediately uncomfortable.

Minutes pass. The score is 31-17 with a little over a minute left in the game. Tri Point is winning and we have the ball. Derrick looks posed to run as Tyson is to his left to block the defenders. The ball is snapped and the quarterback fakes a pass and hands it to Derrick to go down the left side. Within two steps, a behemoth cornerback hits him behind the line making him fall like a house of cards.

Tyson didn't block. I see him staring at the cornerback and chuckles. After the Smoke Ridge cheers fade, all that's left to hear is Derrick's screams of pain. Coaches rush the field as his agony is apparent to both sides. Derrick has blood down his lips as they remove his helmet. He is put onto a cart and taken to the school to be examined. The wolves will still win. I think Tyson wanted us to see. Gwen certainly did.

"Knew it. Take it easy, Wyatt." Kyle says before walking off with twenty seconds left.

The game ends and Gwen rushes to the school, hoping to see Derrick standing up straight with his classic smirk. The remainder of us walk to our bikes since the sun is long gone.

"Tyson did it on purpose. You think Derrick is alright?" Amy asked in a low tone.

"I'm not sure." Rachel answers as we start to pedal. Along the way we see an ambulance heading towards to the school at full speed.

"I place my bet that he's not." Joel says as the sirens fade into the night. I hate to say it. I'm with Joel on this one.