Curtain Call

Gwen was breaking down through all of the chaos. She is fragile when it comes to stress. Maybe we're all freaking out at what happened. Kyle is gathering his thoughts as I haven't done more than breathe and listen since waking up. Amy sat on top of the counter next to us with the wrench in her skinny jean covered lap. Her heavy boots dangled and swayed like a lonely grandfather clock's pendulum. She couldn't look us in the eyes. All she did was stare at the wooden door as if it was going to give her answers. Kyle decided to break the silence.

"You ratted us out. Marie isn't gonna care about you after this, you know. She's just using you to stop us." It's strange how calm his voice turned after the wrench hit. I suppose he wanted to be more reasonable.

Amy just stared at her lap. "I can't go back with you guys." She sounds like she's telling herself too. "I can't look Joel in the eye, or Gwen, or Derrick, or any of you. He cheated on me right when I trusted him most and actually thought you guys weren't like the rest."

"Amy," Gwen says as she tries to contain the whimpers and sobs. "Joel and I did nothing together, I promise."

"Shut up! Marie showed me photos of you and him cuddling in your car at the city park three miles away from Derrick's hospital! I saw you!"

"The city park? Amy, I was worried about Derrick and started freaking out. Joel told me to pull over and gave me a shoulder to cry on." Her voice is becoming a little more stable and relaxed. "He wasn't cheating. He was comforting me."

Amy didn't know how to respond. A part of her knew it was more likely that than them getting handsy in her car on the way to the hospital. She just looked down and found her reply. She grabbed the wrench, leaped off the counter, took two steps forward before grabbing Gwen's shirt, and raised the wrench behind her head. Gwen screams and trashes for a second. "Stop!" Everyone turned to me as I was even wonder how I yelled that loud.

"Amy," I say. "In my back pocket is my phone. You can call Joel and ask him whatever you want. He can tell you what happened. Just give him a chance to explain what happened."

There's silence for what feels like hours. Amy's arm is still firm and seems to be ready to strike Gwen in the blink of an eye. Suddenly, all at once, she marches to me after dropping Gwen's shirt and reaches into my pocket for the phone. A few taps and all you can hear is the long low beeps before he answers.

"Joel? It's me... what happened at the city park with Gwen?... did anything happen between you two?... you didn't cheat on me?... do you love me?" Whatever Joel said must have hit home. Amy giggles as a stray tear crosses her cheek.

"Can you ask about plan B?" Kyle says.

"Joel? Run the projection, now." Amy hangs up and turns to grab scissors from the green room cabinet. She cuts the tape on our wrist and ankles as we hear loud music and Marie screaming her head off. "We need to go. They can't find out I let you go."

We exit the green room and rush down the hall as the scrawny kid looks through the door leading backstage, allowing us the go right by him. The hall leads out to a parking lot in the back of the school where Kyle parked the van. I open the back door for Gwen and Amy as we pile into the back while Kyle turns the engine. We drive down the road as I stand and head toward the passenger seat.

I can see Amy crying on the corner on the floor. Gwen just wraps an arm around her and pulls her head gently onto her shoulder. It's funny how, even if you just tried to assault her with a wrench, Gwen will still be there for you. Kyle pats my shoulder.

"Good job, Wyatt. You're a great kid." His eyes are dead on the road but he still cracks a smile. "Maybe one day, you'll run the group."

"Shut up, Kyle." I say in a joking tone. "You still have to watch over us like a damn stalker for a while."

We all go home after a long night. I swear these days wear me out the most. It seems like it's two down and a thousand to go. Better get some sleep if that's the case.