Exposed

School went as the routine it has always been. At lunch, there was a note from Kyle saying the ID cards for the dinner are under the table. I look down to avoid gripping stale gum and bird waste. The cards are together in a rubber band and wedged between two support beams and the table's leg. I yank them out and shuffle them to make sure we all have one.

"Me. Derrick. Gwen. Joel. Rachel." I'm mumbling to myself. As the others arrive from the cafeteria, I lunch the cards to their hands with a flick of my wrist like the we're playing cards. They might as well be. They can decide if we come out of the dinner successful, or the enemy of the entire school. "So, we show these at the door and they'll have us wait tables while we find Carol." I'm half explaining to them while half explaining to myself.

Gwen looks down at her lap and just plays with her food. "Wyatt?" She grabs my attention. "It's-- it won't be like last time, right?" I know what she means. She was hit with a wrench and held captive in tears. I honestly don't want her to tell her I don't know. I need to lie.

"It'll be fine." She glances up without moving her head. "We won't let it happen." Derrick holds her close as she lets a stray tear fall. Rachel stands, walks around the table, and hugs the two as well. Joel follows suit. I join the group comfort as the people I consider family give each other strength.

We return to our seats and continue with regular conversation. The group is at peace. That is, until the speakers come on. The infamous Lincoln is about to make another statement.

"We know the Nameless." There is then a pause. I think, for half a second at least, it is over. However, a new voice flowed through the school.

"I should have know." Tyson's voice rumbles. "What a cute little family you guys have." We share a look of hidden panic. All of us feel our hearts in our throats. "I'm sorry she backstabbed you when she realized you're wrong." He's talking of YouKnowWho. "I should have ended you at the game." Derrick has a vivid snarl on his face. Gwen looks down and places her hand on his chest. "By the way, that arm isn't the last injury you all will get. You asked for this Nameless."

The last comment earned me a gaze from Rachel as she is the only one who knows of the cut. It's disturbing how the school turns to an eerie, still graveyard of silence. Everyone feels that if they move, they are suspected to be Nameless. If they were seen looking around, they are suspected to be Nameless. If they were visibly breathing, they are suspected Nameless

The only thing to end this still eternity is the bell to end lunch. The mass of students clamor to each other as they share theories and thoughts on the situation. I'm just glad, of the ones I heard, are not of us.