Hardly Working

It's the first day of working stage crew. Kyle and I were told to head to the workshop to the left of the stage. Gwen was sent to the green room down the hall to organize the props and costumes.

"Alright. Here are some designs for a table we need. The tools and paints are in the labeled cabinets and we have some saws and wood when you need it." Mr. Pawnto said as he handed me the design papers. "Don't hurt yourselves."

I watch him walk out as I turn to see Kyle with gloves and safety glasses on. He was already grabbing wood from a stand that seemed to be ready to topple over with one gentle graze. How it remains standing is beyond my understanding. Within moments, I'm discussing what we need and how to set it up as Kyle grabs what he needs with no expression.

I have little experience with tools so I tried to help where I could without doing something stupid. It wouldn't really matter since Kyle was all ready sawing and drilling like an obedient machine. Wood chips fly. Steel crashes to the ground. It all seemed like second nature to him.

Kyle continues on towards the electric table saw. One by one, the planks were no match to the razor wheel and it's startling screech. For some reason Kyle choose to strike a conversation through the saw.

"You think Lincoln knows who we are?! he shouts as grains patter onto the concrete floor.

"He hasn't really named us! He's not next, right?!"

"No! He's too strong and smart for is to plan for! For now, Marie is priority number one!"

"Hey!" I yell as I remember the note. "Did anyone give you a piece of paper?!"

"I don't think so! Why?!"

"I found this on my backpack yesterday!" I say as I dig in my pocket before placing the note on the desk with the "N" facing up. Kyle immediately stopped and glanced at the note with curiosity.

"Who gave this to you?"

"I was hoping you knew. Look on the back."

He flips it over as his eyebrows clash together. It took him a while to place it back down. Maybe he was looking at the hand writing or trying to understand some riddle in it.

"I haven't seen it before. No clique leaders I know write like that. I do like the insignia on it. I guess the nameless already have a name for themselves. Too bad." He says in a subtle disappointed tone.

The saw slides through the last plank with force as Kyle jammed the two together. The table isn't assembled yet, but it's already five and the sky is turning salmon as the sun sets. Kyle offers a ride but I prefer my bike over another lengthy lecture on Marie. Instead, he drives Gwen back to her place before heading home himself.

I wonder if I'm missing something. There could be an obvious reason to the note that I'm just reading over. I'm probably reading too much into it. Getting Marie out is important if the cliques are linked so notes don't become a usual thing. Oh my god. I'm turning into Kyle.