Sheet Of Paper

I place a sheet of paper Rachel and I composed in art. It certainly is a shot in the dark and will not be a walk in the park. However, it is the only chace we have if we are in the middle of a fallout between the cliques and Kyle, it's something we have to do.

Gwen is the first to look through the paper before anyone else. Rachel and I sit in silence as her eyes grow while she reads. Derrick leans over her and has a similar reaction. As they begin to pass it along to Joel and Amy, we smply just sit there.

"What do you think?" I say after a bit of pizza.

Derrick puts his arms on the table like he is about to negotiate a deal. "I have the bats and still have some rags around the house."

"I can get the tape, vinegar, ear plugs, and jackets by tomorrow," Gwen adds. I can see their half-lifted smiles on their faces. It is amazing when you have people as supportive as them on your side.

Joel slides the paper back to me. "There are some googles and latex gloves in an old lab kit of mine."

I can see they have begun to smile as well. "I can grab some PVC pipe from my dad for the slingshots. I can also make rubber balls for them too," Amy said

"Thanks, guys. It means a lot," I say as I fill in the details of how the plan will unfold. "Tyson's party is in Smoke Ridge park. The place hasn't been used for years and is miles away from any road or buildings. Gwen, were gonna need your SUV to get there." She gives me a nod of approval. "The place is surrounded by trees. We won't be able to get in the exact spot unless we walk through once we arrive. Kyle, won't be there early if he wants to pick up the scrapes. We'll try to convince the Tyson to leave before Lincoln comes so nobody can fight anybody."

"You really did your research, Kyle," Derrick jokes as the table breaks into laughter. Soon we start to go on about our normal lives. Amy complained about the finals she has to take as Joel just says they're easy. Derrick talks about going to San Diego with his family. Gewn informs us that she has never been to the beach in her life. Of course, Derrick invites her to show her what she has been missing. Rachel talks about how much she loves her mother's boyfriend and says they plan to tie the knot in June. I explain how my life has been just video games and television.

This has to be one of the better lunches. With school ending in three weeks, it seems that we try to make the last few days worth remembering. For once, I realize how much we have grown and bonded over the past number of months.

Maybe, in some messed up way, Derrick needed to be injured at the football game. Maybe Gwen needed to be left behind by Stephanie. Maybe Joel and Amy needed to break up. Maybe, in it's own sick, twisted way, this became the best few months of my life.