Patient's Orders

It's the weekend. Three days since the game. Derrick has been hospitalized with a broken rib and collarbone that caused internal bleeding. The thing almost punctured his lung. We all visit him since we haven't had the chance due to school.

We walk into the white and teal room. Derrick lies along side a window and faces a T.V. playing some comedy. Gwen has been here ever since he came in Thursday night. Poor thing is so upset.

"Hey, man." I say as I approach the bed. "Are you doing any better?"

"My damn chest hurts every time I breathe. I spat up blood the whole first night. Honestly, I feel like a million bucks." He says as he somehow manages to keep his grin.

"How long before they let you go home?" Joel calls out from a chair with Amy in his lap.

"Hopefully, soon. They wanna make sure I don't pop my lung open like a balloon."

"Don't say that!" Gwen calls out. "You'll be fine. You need to be."

"Gwen, have you gotten any sleep? You look like you're gonna collapse." Amy said.

"Not really. I don't wanna go to bed before him or wake up after. Plus, I don't wanna leave him here alone."

"Sweetie," Derrick called as he reached for her hand from the bed. "Go get some rest at home. You've been so nice to me so you deserve a break. All I ask is that you take a good long nap. Okay?"

"Derr--"

"Gwen, do it for me."

"...... Fine. For you." She said before kissing his forehead.

"Here, you guys go grab something from the cafeteria. I'll be alright here."

We start to leave as Rachel wraps her arm around Gwen to help her exit the room. Amy and Joel are already down the hallway.

"Wyatt! One day, let's beat the crap out of Tyson." Derrick says as I'm in the doorway with a strained chuckle.

"Looking forward to it." I laugh as I meet the others at the elevator. I really am looking forward to it. I hated Tyson, and now... I despise him.