Something More

The days fly by. The group and I are enjoying not being bothered by Kyle's antics. Derrick walked up to us in the cafeteria in the morning.

"I'm in!" Derrick said as he slammed a golden paper down with force.

"What?" I asked in confusion.

"I got on the school's football team. It's the freshmen team but still a team," He exclaimed with stern excitement.

"That’s nice, man," I congratulate. He's played football before but never has been on a tackle team. In middle school they never allowed it. It cost too much for pads.

We all cheer for him as he gives that smug grin with a shred of humility. The bell rings and I walk proudly into history. Kyle is there but still won't talk out of the garage. It's not that I don't like the guy, I just don't want to stress on the cliques for a while. For the first time since coming to Tri Point, I feel like a normal student. I walk the halls with a high head, broad shoulders, and sturdy steps.

It's time for art class. As usual, Rachel comes in just before the bell. She probably runs from across the school and catches a breath when she steps in.

"You need to be able to fly to get here in time," she complained although she held a genuine friendly smile.

"You seem to be in a good mood," I say holding back a slight chuckle. "Enjoying the days off?"

"Of course I am. It feels so good. It's funny that homecoming is over a month away and it's the best thing to happen to us. Amy said she and Joel already plan to have matching outfits. They're so cute," She replied with enthusiasm painting her face.

"That's nice. Derrick said he's gonna ask Belle."

"Wasn't that his ex, Jenna's, best friend?"

"Yeah, but that's Derrick for you."

"Ha. Well it looks like me and you are all by our lonesome," she says while pushing my shoulder as I realize my chance.

"It doesn't have to be like that."

"What do you mean? Got a new girl, Wyatt?" she giggles with a wink.

"No. What I meant was... we could go... but it would just be as friends. It will cost less for tickets and I can get us a ride," I stutter. She's silent for a few seconds. It's agonizing. She has to say something, right?

"Sure. What's the harm? You and me have been friends long enough to go to a dance together," she said. I swear my heart skipped a few beats.

"Sweet," I say as class continues. Rachel draws a manikin in a detailed navy dress holding a man's hand in a similar tie. I swear she should be in a gallery.

As class ends, we meet up with the others and we all are enjoying our time away from Kyle. We all talked about homecoming plans. When Rachel and I told of our idea, it didn't get as much admiration as Joel and Amy's. Derrick just gave a classic smirk.

"Derrick! That's gross!" Rachel spat and giggled at the same time.

"Yeah, plus, it's mostly so we're all ready for Quinn's party afterwards," I protested as Rachel and I took each other's side.

It was for the party. I swear it is. I am Rachel's best friend after all. Why would I let her go alone? We're friends.