6 Hanging out

I spent my Saturday at home doing pretty much nothing. I was out in my yard reading and getting some tan when my phone buzzed. It was an incoming call... from Monty. It must be a pocketdiall, I thought, but decided to answer anyway.

"Hello?"

"Hi... it's me."

"I know..."

"Are you home?"

"Yes."

"Can I... or do you maybe wanna hang out?"

I didn't expect that.

"Sure. When?"

"Like... maybe now? If you're not busy"

"I'm not busy.

"Good. I'll pick you up in fifteen.", he said and hung up.

I ran to my room and changed from the bikini top into a regular bra and top, but kept the shorts that I'd been wearing all day. It was too hot for anything else. I heard his car when he pulled up and decided to run out before my mum realized. "Bye mum" I yelled as I closed the door, not waiting for a response. I gave him a quick hello as I opened the door and got in his car. "Go go go! Before she realize what's happening!", I joked. He laughed as he saw my mum peaking in the window and drove off. "So, what do you wanna do?", I asked. "I don't know. I just wanted to get out for a while. Do something fun", he said. For some reason he seemed a bit nervous. We drove around for a while, listening to music and talking about our guilty pleasures. I didn't even realize he had pulled into a small parking lot by the beach. It had become late evening by now and there were few people at the beach. "I need to stretch my legs. You want to take a walk?", he asked. "Well, it is perfect ice-cream-weather", I said and jumped out of the car.

He paid for our ice-cream and we sat in the sand down by the water, talking and eating. "I had a fight with my mum today", he told me. "I'm sorry. What happened?", I asked. "I don't really know what happened. It started with a simple conversation about baseball-practice, but it escalated so fast. She doesn't like my friends.", he admitted. "Why not?", I asked again. "She thinks I'm too obsessed with keeping my reputation among them to focus on the things I should focus on, like school and baseball and the acting. She think they are a bad influence on me." "And you disagree?", I asked again, and realized this was kind of a test. Based on his next answer I could easily determine if he is a good or a bad person by heart, and if he really trusts me. "No, I don't. I just... It's hard to hear sometimes. She just don't know what it's like to live my life, you know. I know she's right, but.. I don't know. It's complicated.", he admitted. He passed the test. "Anyway, I just needed to get out of the house and distract myself for a bit", he finished. "So you think I'm distracting, huh?", I said with a wink. "Very", he joked back. "And I feel relaxed around you. I can just talk about anything and... be me, kind of. I can't do that with any of my other friends. They're just too busy with baseball and hooking up with chicks", he said. "And you're not?", I asked, trying to make it sound like a joke, but deep down I knew his answer would sting a bit. "I'm busy pretending. I haven't really been with a girl in months, but that's not what I tell them. I kind of have to, to fit in", he told me. Why was telling me this? "But mostly, I just like hanging out with you", he smiled. I smiled back. "Lucky I like hanging out with you too", I said. "And you have ice-cream on your face", he giggled. "What? Where?", I giggled too. He reached out and swiped his thumb gently over my cheek. "Gone", he said, with an intense look in his eyes. Those eyes. Those deep, brown eyes. I felt my heart skip a beat again and my face got flustered. Damn it! "I should get home", I said interrupting our little "moment".

The car ride home was a bit more awkward. It was like we both knew we had a moment, but no one wanted to admit it. As he stopped the car in front of my house we both got out of the car. I felt myself tense up a bit. What was he doing? He pulled me in for a hug. None of us had said a word yet. He hugged me tighter and longer now than he had done the last time, and I hugged him back. I instinctively closed my eyes, enjoying the feeling of his warm embrace and his smell. "Thank you for today", he said. "I really needed that". "Any time", I replied.

______________________________

Please leave a vote. It would make my day!