11 Scary movie

As he pulled into his usual spot in the parking lot I got nervous. We were surrounded by jocks. "Oh god", I mumbled to myself. "Don't worry. I'll take care of it. You just go ahead", he smiled. I nodded. I had barely gotten out of the car before I could hear them behind me. "Yo, Monty. Got yourself a new toy there?", "Someone spent the night", "Damn dude. Look at him all freshly fucked and satisfied", followed by a whole lot of cheering and laughing. "I wish, you fucktards. I just happened to drive by as she missed the bus", he lied. On one hand I can't really believe they bought that lie, on the other hand the way they knew Monty he'd probably brag about it if it was true.

In the last acting class of the week we had pretty much finished the storyline for the play we were writing, and it was time to assign roles. Most people wanted to play the role they had suggested for the play themselves, so it was an easy process. "But, class, we still need a male lead. Are any of you guys up for the task?", the teacher asked addressing only the boys. I nudged Monty with my elbow. "Come on", I whispered. He looked conflicted, but he raised his hand. "I could maybe try..." is all he managed to say before the teacher interrupted him. "Perfect! The two of you have such great dynamic on stage. I think this is going to be amazing", she cheered. I could tell he was already nervous. After class the teacher pulled both of us aside. "I have noticed the two of you have gotten quite close, and that's why I wanted to ask you, I'm thinking that the whole play should finish with a kiss. It is a love story after all. Is that something the both of you would feel comfortable doing?", she asked. Monty and I looked at each other. The last thing I thought I would do in my life was kissing Montgomery de la Cruz. But it was for the play, and it would really present us as mature and committed actors. Maybe even open some doors for us. It's just a kiss, right? "I'm... I'd be okay with that", I said. "What about you, Monty?", she asked him again. "Yes, I'll do it", he said quickly, like he had to hurry up and say it before he'd change his mind.

The car ride home was a bit more quiet than usual, so I decided to address the elephant in the room. Or in this case, the elephant in the car. "You know you don't have to, right? If you don't feel comfortable doing it you can just tell me. I would not hold it against you", I assured him. "No, I'm down. Just nervous", he said still sounding lost in though. "So what are you doing this weekend?", he asked, suddenly changing the subject. "Nothing really. My parents are leaving town for their anniversary so I'll probably just chill in front of the TV all weekend. You?", I asked back. "I'm going to a party. Do you wanna come? It's at Taylors". "Thanks for the invite, but I think we've all learned that I'm not much of a party-girl", I joked and we both laughed. He dropped me off at home just in time to say goodbye to my parents before they left.

Saturday came and I was on the couch in my PJ's all day. It was about eight o'clock in the afternoon when my phone buzzed. It was a text from Monty, as usual. "What up?" it said. "Nothing really. I'm a bit conflicted. I'm kind of in the mood for a scary movie, but since I'm home alone that would be a recipe for disaster", I wrote back, trying to be funny, but I didn't get a reply. About an hour later there was a knock on my door. "Hi?", I said, not expecting to find Monty on the other side of the door. "You didn't want to come to the party, so I brought the party to you", he said smiling widely. "You did what?", I exclaimed, looking behind him in panic to check if I could see anyone else. "Just kidding", he laughed, "It' just me". I exhaled relieved, and gave him an annoyed glare. I let him in anyway. "Not that I'm not happy to see you or anything, but what are you doing here?", I asked. "Party was boring. Scary movie sounded better", he replied shrugging, and got comfortable on the couch. "Scary movie it is", I said and took a seat next to him. I pressed play on the movie I wanted to see, and leaned back on the couch ready for a thrill. And what a thrill it was. Best horror movie I've ever seen. Twenty minutes into the movie and the first jump scare my heart was pounding and I instinctively scooted closer to Monty. He chuckled a bit and put his arm around my shoulder. "It's just a movie", he said, trying to calm me down, but he was obviously entertained my by reaction. I can't help it. I have a love-hate relationship with horror movies. I love them, but I get so freakin scared. As the movie came to an end I realized that not only was I sitting so close to him that I was basically on his lap, but I was also holding his hand. I didn't even notice it happening during the movie. Did I grab his hand, or did he grab mine? The credits rolled across the screen, and I let out a relieved sigh. He chuckled again. "Awww, you poor thing", he joked, hugging me tighter with the one arm he had around my shoulder and squeezing my hand. I giggled. The screen turned black, but we didn't move. "Did you really just blow off a party to watch movies with me?", I asked, not really managing to make sense of it my head. It was just so... not like him. "Yeah", he said. "No hot girls at the party, huh?", I joked. " Right, so I made it my mission to go out and find one and suddenly I was here. Strange thing", he joked back. "Oh, so you think I'm hot?", I teased him. "I... Erm.. Well, yeah", he replied, blushing a bit. "I'm kidding. Relax", I giggled.

Suddenly there was a loud noise outside, and we both jumped up from the couch. My heart was pounding again. I was already on edge after the movie. Monty leaned over the couch to look out the window. "I can't see anything", he whispered. There was another sound, not as loud as the first one. Monty tiptoed over to the door and in one fast move, he opened the door and stepped outside. After a few seconds I could hear him laugh. He came back inside and closed the door behind him. "It was a cat. Knocked over a flower pot", he said, laughing. "Oh my god, I was terrified", I said, rubbing my forehead with two fingers. He pulled me in for a quick, but tight, hug. He leaned back to look at me, still holding his arms around my waist. "You're lucky I was here to save you", he said, pretending to be serious. "My hero!", I played along, still with my hands around his neck. He smiled. I felt the butterflies reappear.

________________________________________

Please leave a vote <3