16 It's not a date

It was the most awkward dinner ever. Mum, dad, Monty and me. My mum had given Monty one of dads shirts while he waited for his own to dry. My dad hadn't met Monty until today, but knowing my mum I'm sure he had heard lots about him. My mum was wearing a mischievous grin throughout the whole dinner, while bombarding Monty with all kinds of questions about him. I didn't really say much. Just sat there awkwardly, giving my mother "The evil eye". She started asking him about his family, and I could tell he was starting to get uncomfortable. "Shit! We're late!", I said, interrupting her in the middle of a question. They all looked at me with confusion. "It's starting in like ten minutes. We gotta get going", I said to Monty, looking sternly at him hoping he would get the hint. "I don't... Oh, right! Yes! Yes, we are late", he played along. We excused ourselves from the table and I went to get his shirt from the dryer. We rushed out the door and into his car, yelling "bye" to my parents without waiting for a reply. "What are we late for exactly?", he asked as soon as we had driven far enough to no longer be visible from my house. "Nothing. I just needed her to stop with the questions", I replied shrugging. He chuckled. "So what do we do now?", he asked again. "I don't really know. What do you want to do?", I asked back. "How about we go see a movie?", he suggested as we drove past the cinema. "Why not, were already here"

He insisted on paying for the tickets, the popcorn and the soda. He held the doors open for me, and was really acting like a gentleman. There was very few people there, so we got pretty good seats too. It felt weird, but nice to do something other than hide out in my room for once. He took my hand and intertwined our fingers, looking straight ahead at the screen like he didn't even know he was doing it. He seemed oddly pleased with himself, wearing a half smile. He noticed me staring at him. "I can't believe I managed to trick you out on a date", he said, clearly satisfied with himself now. "This is not a date", I replied. He looked at me and raised one eyebrow, like his face was saying "isn't in obvious?". "It's not a date!", I repeated. He chuckled. "What part of this makes it not a date?", he asked, trying to prove his point. I thought for a second. The movies, he paid, holding hands... This SO was a date. "The part where we're not dating", I said, pretty pleased with my answer. "So... If we're not dating, how come we're on a date?", he asked again with great confidence. "It's not a date!", I repeated again, louder this time. Once again he just chuckled in response.

After the movie was over he drove me home. "This has been a great day", he said as we parked in front of my house. "It started out a bit frustrating, but at least I we got to have our first real date", he continued. I shook my head, and chuckled. "Idiot", I mumbled, making him chuckle too. I gave him a long and wet kiss, letting my lips linger as I slowly pulled away again, then got out of the car and shut the door behind me. He rolled down the window. "That's it? If this is how you treat your dates then there's no wonder you've been single for so long", he joked. "What do you want, then?", I asked playfully. "You could invite me in. We could pick up where we left off before we got so rudely interrupted earlier", he said smirking. I giggled. "Sorry, I don't put out on the first date", I winked at him, turned and started walking away. "Hah! You admitted it! It was a date!", I heard him yell after me. I was chuckling, but pretended I didn't hear him.

The next day in acting class we got the last pages of the script. We had been rehearsing for so long on the first part that we already knew it by heart, and I was excited to see how she'd been writing the ending. "This play is really good", I said to Monty as we waited for our next scene. We were going through the entire play in class, just so the teacher could give us all some notes on where we should focus the most towards the last couple of weeks before preforming. "It is. And I'm mostly excited about the ending though. I can't wait to spend hours with you practicing that last scene", Monty winked at me. We got called back out on stage again before I could reply. We didn't go through the last scenes since we had just gotten them and had no time to rehearse them yet, so the public kiss would have to wait. The last half hour of class we got to go through the last pages ourselves, while the teacher went around with advice and notes she had been taking during the performance. "Maya and Monty, you are a power-duo", she opened with as she approached us. "I don't really have anything to put my finger on. There's no doubt that you have spent hours rehearsing. But remember that the hardest scene is yet to come, and I think you should just focus on nailing those last pages too. Especially the last one", she said. "I guess we should start rehearsing as soon as possible", Monty grinned.

________________________________________________________

What do you think? Was it a date?

Thank you to all of you who have left me nice comments and messages. It really warms my heart and inspires me to continue writing. I love you all <3

Please leave a vote and/or a comment to let me know what you think<3