Phone Calls

Saki-san is the first to rush into the room to make sure everything is in order. Her gaze softens when she pops in and sees me. "Kageyama-kun, is something the-" she freezes when her eyes fall on Hinata. She takes a sharp intake of breath. "His eyes... are open?"
     "He's awake, Saki-san," I say, my voice a moan through my tears. "Actually awake."
     Saki-san nearly trips over her own feet as she runs to Hinata's side. "Hinata-kun?" she asks, her eyes wide with shock.
     I watch Hinata's newly opened eyes shrink with unfamiliarity and confusion. "H-Huh?"
       "Responsive?" Saki-san gasps. "Oh my gosh. This is a miracle. Let me page the others. Hinata-kun, tell me, are you having trouble speaking, or moving?"
     "He is," I answer so that he doesn't have to. "He let me know that he can't move hardly anything. And he's been stuttering when he tries to speak."
     "Is that right, Hinata-kun?"
     I watch Hinata part his lips slightly, as if even that is a struggle, and he replies, with great difficulty, "Hai."
     "Thanks for telling me," she responds warmly. "Don't worry, we'll get you talking and moving around again as soon as possible. You'll even be able to eat and drink shortly. We'll take care of everything, darling." With that, she begins paging other doctors and nurses for assistance. "Kageyama-kun, would you like to let Hinata's parents know the news?" Her eyes sparkle with joy.
      And with that, I begin to make a strand of phone calls.

4:10 P.M.  Hinata-sama
     "Kageyama, dear? It's so nice to hear from you. Is everything okay?" Hinata-sama's voice sounds from the other end of the line.
     "Hinata-sama, I have amazing news! It's about Hinata- I was with him, and he woke up! He's responsive, and he's okay. He just-" Before I can finish, I'm cut off by an overwhelmed cry.
     "Shōyō! Oh Kageyama, really? Are you serious? My son-" she chokes on a relieved sob. "My son is alive? Oh, Shōyō! He's okay, you said?"
      "Yes!" I exclaim, her thrill rubbing off on me. "He's having trouble moving and speaking, but Saki-San and some others are with him now, so he should-"
     "Anata! Natsu! Come quickly!" I hear her call her husband and daughter. "It's Shōyō!" I hear her muffled voice coming through. "He's awake! He's awake!" Her voice suddenly comes through more loudly and directly. "We're coming over now! Thank you, thank you, Kageyama-kun!"

4:12 P.M. Yachi
"Kageyama-kun? What's up? Oh, do you need some study materials for school? I bought some extra-"
"No!" I stop her. "This isn't about that. You see, I'm with Hinata right now." A rare smile crosses my face. "He's waken up, Yachi."
     I hear an audible gasp. "Oh my gosh! Are you for real?! C-Can I come over there? Is he alright?"
"He's having difficulty with his speech and mobility... but yes, he's not in pain, and he seems alright, albeit pretty dazed and weak. And," I take a glance over to the doctors and nurses doting over Hinata, "I have a feeling there will be many people coming to see him today."
     "I'll be there as soon as I can! Oh! And I can tell Shimizu-san the news too!"

4:13 P.M.  Yamaguchi
     "Ah, Kageyama, how are you?" his peppy voice resounds through the phone.
     "I'm great. I'm fantastic!"
     "Really? That's weird for you, Kageyama." Yamaguchi laughs. "Did something happen?"
     "Everything happened, Yamaguchi! It's about Hinata. He came out of his coma."
"WHAT?!" I hear him screech. "Tsukki, Tsukki, you'll never guess what Kageyama just told me!"
"Something dumb, probably," I hear Tsukishima say in the background, though I hear a little curiosity in his voice.
"Hinata woke up!" Yamaguchi bursts out.
"You're serious?" Tsukishima's voice loses all traces of sarcasm.
"Mmhm! Kageyama!" Yamaguchi's voice becomes clearer as he speaks into the phone. "How is he doing? Are we allowed to come see him?"
"He's certainly not at his best, but I know he'd love it if you two came over to see him."
     "Yes!" Yamaguchi shouts in relieved delight. "We'll see you shortly, Kageyama!"