THREE

Jamie

"Okay so your surgery is scheduled 2 weeks from now Mrs. Wang." I said as I placed all of her files away.

"I not get hurt right?" She asked as she looked deeply into my eyes.

"I can't promise you that Mrs. Wang. But I will try my very hardest to make this procedure carry out safely."

That was not the answer she wanted to hear and I soon felt guilty but it was the truth. She had to be prepared for the worst.

"Mrs. Wang do you have a husband?" I asked. "Maybe he could help you through this hard time." She shook her head no.

"No husband. He died in war. No children. No family."

My heart ached for the poor woman in front of me. I never should have brought the topic of her husband up.

"Well, I'll be there for you in the operating room Mrs. Wang. You just have to promise you won't give up on me."

The small woman wiped away her tears and smiled at me.

"I not give up."

I smiled back at her.

Don't give up on me Mrs. Wang.

__________

"Is that you Jamie?" Eve asked from our bathroom as I stepped into our bedroom.

"Yeah it's me." I sighed as I kicked off my shoes and took off my clothes. I wanted to sleep right then and there but a shower was calling my name. Eve walked out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her body.

"How was work?" She asked as she dropped the towel in front of the mirror. My eyes lingered on her frame but I still answered her question.

"Work was work."

She put on a silk pajama set and laid down next to me on the bed facing me.

"Jamie?"

"Yeah?"

"I want to go out. "

I chuckled.

"Um, I'm already your fiancè Eve."

"We haven't gone on a date in a real long time. You're always working. Come on. Pleaseeeee??"

I sighed.

"Okay. What did you have in mind?"

"My boss was invited to that huge art gala New York has every year and he can bring 2 guests. Me and you!"

I scrunch up my nose.

"An art gala? Really Eve? You know that shit bores me."

"Oh come on. We can buy a painting for this bland apartment and the money will go to charity. It's a win win. Please do this for me Jamie." She whined.

"Fine. I'll go."

Eve squeals and kisses my cheek.

"I love you. You're the best." She says.

"I love you too." I say under my breath. Then I got up to go take a shower.

__________

"Let me get this straight. I invite you hundreds of times to social events after work and you decline but when girlfriend does the same you accept?? I feel betrayed." Said Chris as we hung out in his office for break.

"Well I'm only getting married to one of y'all." I said trying to support myself. Chris dramatically gasps and I rolled my eyes.

"Wait how did you get invited to the gala again?" He asked.

"Eve's boss could bring two guests."

"Uhh....guests of someone invited still needs to be paid for. Does Eve's boss owe her a favor or something?"

"No. What are you trying to say Chris?" I ask getting angry.

"Nothing. It just seems a little off that someone would pay thousands for two guests to come when they didn't have to. Just something to think about."

"There's nothing to think about. Mason is just being nice. And he invited Eve because she's his assistant."

"And why are you going?"

"Eve probably convinced him."

"Yeah she convinced him alright."

I got up angrily.

"What are you trying to say Chris?!"

He sighed and looked at me.

"I'm not trying to start anything. I'm just saying be careful. You're a good dude with a good heart. People know how to take advantage of that." He shrugged.

I embarrassingly sat back in my chair. Chris is only looking out for me. My paranoia with Eve's past is what is causing me to act this way. I need to chill out.

"Yeah man. You're right sorry."

"It's ok. You can make it up to me by coming to the next social event I invite you too."

I rolled my eyes.

"You son of a bitch."

Thoughts on Chris?

Vote and Comment
-aesthetiicchild❤❤