TWENTY TWO

Kyla

You would think that after finally breaking up with Jordan, everything else in my life would just start to fall into place.

I guess my expectations were too high.

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with Jamie. He's everything I could ever want. But I can't help but think, being with him, has been one of the most strenuous things I ever had to accomplish in life.

They say love is to prevail over all, but right now, I still feel stuck.

As if nothing changed and I'm just the same Kyla that can never give a straight answer.

_____

"Why do the grave cleaners keep removing his flowers? I want to remove them..."

"I'll talk to them about that okay?"

"Okay."

I bent down and placed the fresh white roses at the corner of my father's grave.

It was the anniversary of his death.

Brandon and I have been coming here together for a few years now. I think it's what he would have wanted.

"Long time no see Michael." Brandon joked. A small smile came on my face as I heard him explain the entire football game from last night to him.

After some time Brandon paused.

"I've been talking too much. Your daughter's here too."

My eyes opened in shock. I always visited him but I never talked to him. I was never that close with him. I didn't know him like Brandon knew him.

I may as well just have been a stranger.

"Bran-"

"It's time Kyla. He needs to hear your voice."

"But I don't know what to say." I whined.

Brandon put his arm around me and we walked closer to my dad's grave.

"This one right here is a handful Michael. You know she kissed me when she was fifteen?!"

"Brandon!" I hissed. "Don't tell him that!"

"Then maybe you should try talking to him." He laughed.

"Fine." I said hastily as I removed myself from his arm.

"That kiss was a mistake." I quickly clear up.

"Ouch." Brandon laughed. I kinda laughed as well but soon turned my attention back to the grave.

"I'm 23 now. Not really a little girl anymore. And...if you were here you would be meeting your grandchild."

I could hear Brandon make a noise behind me but I ignored him.

"And Brandon's not so bad. You picked a good best friend. I just wish...I just wish that I could've gotten to know you."

I could hear my voice begin to choke up and that's when I knew I had to stop.