A Happy Christmas

(Kevin)

Post-Christmas dinner, post-gift unwrapping, I curled happily up in the loveseat at my mother's, with my girlfriend Alyssa nestling into my chest, just holding her, thankful fo the time I had with my family and her. The most important people in my life. I loved Avi, Scott, Mitch, and Kirstie, of course, but my family has and always will be second on my most beloved list, second only to God and Jesus. Mom and Dad and my brother and sister, had stepped outside yo admire Mom's new garden water fountain and other new goodies. I had something else on my mind, something I'd been thinking about since October. I lifted my head to look at Alyssa—my best friend, my confidante, my partner in crime, my lady. She had the prettiest expression on her face—totally relaxed, lips partially upturned at something amusing on the TV, warm brown eyes shining, makeup very tastefully done. I'd gotten her a necklace and earring set with her birthstone, an amethyst, for Christmas, which she'd immediately put on. What she didn't know is that there was one more piece of—very important—jewelry I had for her. Now was the perfect time, with my parents, Candace, and Kellen outside ogling some lawn and garden decorations. Neither one of us were overly excited about it; gardeners, we are not. Sure, it was pretty enough, but nowhere near as pretty as this lovely lady right here next to me. Yeah, I can be a bit of a romantic at times. I'd already spoken with her father back in October, just waiting for the right time. Which felt like... now.

"Alyssa," I whispered, kissing her cheek lightly.

"Hmm?" she murmured, then chuckled lightly at the TV. "Did you see that? That guy totally missed the whole point of that there!"

I turned to the TV and giggled. I guessed I'd missed the point too—because I had no idea what I was giggling at. My thoughts were on her and her alone. "Yeah, pretty funny," I improvised, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, sweetie, can I get up?"

Alyssa sat up. "I'm sorry. Am I hurting you?"

"No, no, nothing like that," I assured her, pulling to my feet. I winked at her. "Just wanted to get your last gift."

Her eyes widened at me. "Another?" She fingered the necklace. "Kevin, you've already gotten me a lot! This necklace and the earrings, which I love!"

"Yes, another," I said, grinning. "It does come with an explanation, though." I found my coat from the closet and fished around in the pockets until I found the box.

"Okayyy," Alyssa said slowly, watching me closely.

My hand closed around the box, but I kept it from her view. "Close your eyes. I want it to be a surprise."

She closed them obligingly.

"Keep them closed," I advised, tiptoeing across the room, clasping the box between my hands in case she tried to peek. By Alyssa's side, I hid the box in my shirt and perched on the edge of the couch. "You can open them now."

She opened them, immediately glancing at my hands then giving me a questioning look. "Um, Kevin?"

Under her gaze, all carefully-crafted words and speeches flew out of my head, leaving me with a totally blank mind. "Uh...," I muttered, closing my own eyes and trying to think.

She giggled nervously at my ineptitude. "Kevin? Whadaya doing? You look like you're in pain."

I shook my head. OK, guess I was winging it here. I took both her hands in mine. "Alyssa, I've known you for five years, been your boyfriend for three. I've loved every moment I've spent with you, learning, laughing, loving, living. You are the—"

Alyssa's eyes widened and her mouth dropped open. Yep, I'd caught her by surprise. "Kevin???" she breathed. "Are you—"

"Shh." I placed one finger on her lips, already curling up in a dreamy smile. "Sweetie, you are the best thing that's ever happened to me. I love you more than I could ever say." I let myself slide off the couch and onto my knee. "Alyssa, would you make me the happiest man in the world and be my wife?" I presented her with the box and opened it for her—a single dainty solitaire that a man can't go wrong with.