Confessions

(Scott)

I screamed as I saw his body just give out on him and he slumped forward in the wheelchair. Harriet's arms reached forward to catch him but she wasn't quite quick enough. I was still screaming as Chance selflessly threw his body out in front of Mitch, catching him before he crashed into the floor. I will forever be grateful to Adam Chance for that maneuver; Lord only knows what would have happened if he hit the floor hard again. The nurse ran to him and pressed her fingers into his neck, then ran into the X-ray room again.

A hand fell on my back. "Scott. Stop."

I whirled around to Avi, tears already streaming down my face. This was a nightmare—to see the man I love collapse unconscious. Officially together, unofficially together, didn't matter. I loved him and he was my best friend no matter which way you cut it. "Mitch—I—he—Mitch—I'm—," I blubbered into Avi's shoulder. I sounded and looked like a complete and utter idiot, but I didn't care at that point. Avi held me, trying to console me—and probably to get me to shut up. I honestly didn't think I could at that point. My mouth seemed to be on autopilot. And no matter what Avi was saying to me, I couldn't help but continue to scream and cry. I spun away from him to see Mitch again, to convince my eyes, my brain, that he was still here, that my Mitchie would be OK.

Ugh, should not have turned around. Mitch had managed to throw up (he'd be so mad—he hated throwing up with a passion) while still unconscious. Doctors had appeared out of the woodwork and were moving him around and to the side.

"What're they doing?" I yelled, grasping at anyone and anything that stood still. I was only semi-aware of what I was doing. The whole thing felt surreal, as though I were watching the scene from a distance. "What're they doing?" I grabbed Kevin, whose eyes flew open in alarm. "What're they doing?"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," he said, grabbing a chair from the waiting area and pushing it at me. "Sit down."

Sitting down was the last thing I wanted to do. I danced around the chair feeling a bit light-headed myself.

Kirstie grabbed me. "The doctors want to know if he has any drug allergies?"

"Not that I know of!" I wheezed out, still feeling frantic. Maybe I should sit down like Kevin had suggested. "What—what're they doing?"

"Scott." Kevin pushed the chair towards me again. "Take a breath. Sit down. Before you pass out yourself."

I looked down at my Mitchie again, whose eyes were now open, but he looked miserable. My heart squeezed at the sight of him, and I knelt down beside him, ignoring the mess he'd made. "Mitchie," I whispered, pushing his hair gently out of his face.

"Sir." One of the doctors laid a hand on my shoulder.

"Don't even think about telling me to move out of the way 'cuz I sure as hell ain't!" I snapped.

"Does he have any drug allergies that you know of?" the doctor asked me urgently, trying to pull me back a little.

I pushed right back, not budging. "No. Not that either of us are aware of."

"Would you mind stepping back just a little?" he requested.

"Yes, yes, I would mind, in fact," I said as Mitch's hand felt around for mine. He grasped it good and firmly.

"Scotty," he whispered, his voice weak. "Don't leave me."

Oh Lord. Yeah, there was no way whatsoever I was leaving his side after that. I leaned over him. "I won't, baby. I'm not going anywhere." Ignoring absolutely everyone around us, I placed my lips lightly on his and kissed him gently.