Melee at the Bank

(Tim)

Elliott spun to Kate, touching her quickly and decisively on the arm.  "Is there a back door we can use?  To avoid confrontation, if possible?"

    Kate shook her head slowly, lips pressed together and looking grim.  "No, sir, there is not.  I'm sorry, but I cannot let you use the back door, for security and insurance reasons."

    He nodded, placing both hands on my and Austin's shoulders.  "Quickly.  Don't make eye contact. Just keep moving until we get to the car, OK?"

    "Got it," Chance confirmed.

    "Silently," Elliott added, probably for Austin's and my benefits.  "Don't start anything and don't let them bait you."

    I nodded, my stomach clenching inside of me at the thought of laying eyes on her.  She felt like public enemy number one to me right now.  The thought of her just made my blood boil.

    "Let's go," Kevin said quietly.  "Get this over with."

    We let Elliott lead the way down the hall to the lobby.  Quickly and without hesitation, we entered the foyer area, where Blake and Kelly were talking animatedly to the front desk lady.

    "Do you know who she is?" Kelly was arguing.  "I don't care that these two were here before her.  She needs to be priori—what, Blake?"  She spun to him as he gestured to the five of us trying to slink by unnoticed.  "Oh hell no."  She pushed away from the desk and darted in our direction.

    "Stay away from him and from us," Elliott warned her in a low voice, cutting her off before she could reach me.

    Now in the lead, Kevin opened the door for Austin, Chance, and me, the two of them on either side of me protectively.

    "Just get to the car," Chance hissed in my ear, starting down the steps.

    Jenika, Suddeth, Dale, and Mark all looked up the bottom of the steps, anger pouring out of Mark and Dale's eyes, tears of pain and fear shining in Jenika's.  Suddeth clicked off her phone.

    "If you moved so much as one penny out of my client's assets, I will see to it a charge of theft is countered against you," Suddeth threatened, sticking her phone in her purse.

    "His money," Elliott said simply.  "Won't stick.  His name is on the accounts."

    "So's hers!" Dale countered, hands balling up into fists.  "She has every right to every dollar in those accounts!"

    "If bail was rescinded, the check was negated.  If the check was negated, he's been rearranging funds," Suddeth reasoned, eyes narrowed at me.  "Charges of theft will be levied against you, Foust."

    I have every right, every right, every right to do with my money as I see fit, I reminded myself, trying to hold my tongue as Elliott had instructed.

    "Will not stick," Elliott reiterated.

    "Did you empty her accounts?" Mark demanded, reaching forward as if to grab me.

    Chance twisted to the side, still shielding me.  "Get away from him."

    "How dare you!" Kelly shrieked, running down the steps we'd just managed to descend and grabbing me from behind.

    "Get off him!" Austin yelled, roughly pushing her aside.  She fell to the concrete, making her and Jenika scream.  Blake was down the stairs in no time flat, grabbing Austin and kicking at me as I was pulling to my feet.  I yelped and fell backwards onto my butt.