Paps at the Courthouse

(Tim)

My nerves were wrought, having gone through about every emotion I'd ever thought humanly possible.  Shame.  Anger.  Hate, panic, fear.  Even a touch of happiness and love when my friends came running to my aid despite all orders not to.  Sadness and pain for Chance when he was found to have to testify.  Pride for my strong-willed friends for standing up for each other when one was in harm's way.  Trust with my friends, distrust of Suddeth and Jenika.  Frustration that I was even in this position.  I just felt exhausted.  Mentally and physically exhausted.  I wanted to go home and just sleep for a week.  Hell, I'd settle for a couple days' worth of sleep.  Or just peace and quiet.  Calm.  A day of relaxation or just, I dunno, non-crises.  It's like I'd been in crisis mode forever here.  Everything I've encountered has turned out ten times harder than they've had to be.  And it was wearing me out.

    "Let's see.... we've discussed the matters of Mr. Brown's and Mr. Chance's incidents, Mr. Rupp's run-in, the altercation at the bank.  Robinson, Suddeth, any additional matters you deem pertinent to your cases?"

    "I believe I have amply presented the evidence with which I will ensure victories on Ms. Foust's cases, exonerating my client of wrongdoing on the allegations and will indict the person responsible for the actions and apply proper punitive restitutions," Suddeth said primly, giving me a side-eyed glare.

    "And I," Elliott began, looking at her disapprovingly, "believe I have disclosed the evidence that will expose the true victim and the actual perpetrator.  May justice be served appropriately."

    "Should additional evidence on either of the cases be uncovered, please follow protocol and present it to me and I will disburse appropriately.  Suddeth, alert me promptly should you have difficulties obtaining Ms. Brenda Maldonado's report on Mr. Matthew Brown's convulsion and medical response."

    "Yes sir.  Thank you," she agreed.

    "Yes, Your Honor," Elliott stated.

    "Trial for Ms. Foust will be immediately following Mr. Foust's," Avritt continued.  "January 19th at 1:00 PM." Smaaack! went his gavel.  "Hearing adjourned."

    "All rise for the Honorable Judge Carl Avritt," a bailiff droned and we stood while Avritt slowly made his way to his feet, adjusted his pant leg, and retreated into the back.

    Elliott tapped my shoulder.  "It's over.  It's done.  We can go."

    Hallelujah.  It was over.  Several grueling hours in a courtroom—and it was over.  I could go home.  Not back to jail like I'd been threatened with, but home.  Well, to the Morrises'.  I seriously needed to start looking for a new place.  Alabama, Georgia, anywhere but here.  Tennessee.  Nashville would never feel like home again.  Home—maybe I'd actually go home.  I felt a tugging at my heart that only Nederland could draw on me.  Home home. Maybe one of my old friends—or even Mom or my brothers—could let me camp out while I found a place.  Speaking of which, I needed to call them.  I also needed to look at the Home Free calendar to see where the 19th fell on our schedule.  Oh, and I needed to—

    "Tim," Elliott insisted as the others came up behind him.

    "I'm just thinking of everything I need to do," I explained, mind still whirring.

    "Well, the first thing you need to do is walk out of this here courtroom," Austin pointed out, a hand on my back.

    "Yeah, 'cuz I really ain't enjoying this courtroom much at all," Chance remarked dryly.  "Not my favorite place to be."

    "Really?  'Cuz I had a blast," Adam muttered sarcastically.  Think I'm rubbing off on him.

    "Me too.  I really enjoyed watching a good friend get manhandled," Mitch scoffed.