What Kirstie Saw

(Kirstie)

 "Anybody got popcorn?" I asked hopefully, looking around the lounge at my friends, all sitting, slumped, reclining, or lying back on various pieces of furniture. Austin was actually laying on his belly on a coffee table, hands cupping his chin.

"We just had Chinese," Kevin reminded me, burping slightly. " 'Scuse me."

"Yeah, I know," I said, shifting my weight a little to the right as my left leg was going to sleep. "That doesn't mean I don't want popcorn."

"Popcorn would be good," Rob said, nodding.

"Popcorn and movies just go together," Avi agreed, smiling slightly.

"Ugh," Adam grunted, closing his eyes. "I normally love popcorn, but I'm so full right now, I think I'm going to pop."

Chance snorted. "Right?"

"I don't even like popcorn, so, no," Austin commented, stretching out like a cat.

"You don't like popcorn?" I asked him incredulously. I'd never heard of anyone who didn't like popcorn! "How can you not like popcorn?"

He shrugged. "Dunno. It's, uh, just... crunchy. Gets in your teeth. And sweet Lord have mercy, the freaking salt."

Now it was Avi's turn to gape at him. "You don't like salt?"

"Now, now," Austin started. "I didn't say that. It's just that they always drown it in salt and my poor blood pressure can't handle it."

"You have blood pressure issues?" Kevin asked doubtfully.

"Yes, I have blood pressure issues," Austin said haughtily. "I get a killer headache if I eat too much salt. It skyrockets me."

Tim was not very interested in Austin's blood pressure issues. "So.... popcorn?"

"I want some," I giggled, pointing to the TV. "Movie." I gestured to my stomach. "Popcorn needed."

"Somehow, I doubt anyone brought popcorn," Avi remarked dryly.

Rob shrugged. "You'd be surprised what people pack. I, for one, packed peanut butter crackers."

"The hell'd you do that for?" Tim laughed.

He shrugged. "Well, ya know, they make a good snack. And they're easy. Can carry them around."

Adam looked up from the floor. "I apparently packed a teeny tiny size five shoe."

"Aww," I cooed at him. "Kids?"

He nodded, a big grin on his face. "Yep. My daughter's. My wife called me up frantically the first day I was gone, not able to find it." He chuckled. "I checked my suitcase and lo and behold, there it was. I told her to go buy her some more. She didn't seem to mind. What is it with women and shoes?"

I giggled, extending my feet and peering down at my boots—cute sparkly ones I'd bought just for this trip. I had to admit, they looked awesome on me. I pointed a shimmering toe at him. "Well, you know, we all got to wear 'em, so might as well have fun with them. Right, girls?" I turned to Mitch and Scott for confirmation, knowing they shared my love for footwear. I frowned when I realized I'd just turned to an empty love seat for support. "Um."

Adam's eyes flickered after mine and his eyebrows shot up questioningly, then looked at me. I shrugged helplessly. Why hadn't they come back yet?

Tim turned his head to see what Adam was looking at so hard and his eyes fell on mine. I must have looked like a deer in the headlights, because his expression immediately changed from a happy and relaxed one to a rather concerned one. "Umm," he mumbled, scanning the room quickly with his eyes. "Errr."