Chaaance!!!

(Tim)

"Sending people in your place, what, can't come do your own dirty work? Coward!" Jenika remarked.

"I—I—," I stuttered, dumbfounded, unable to answer that. "What was I supposed to do? The restraining order, Jenika, it prohibited all of us except Chris!"

"Your friends suck," she informed me, turning and walking into the courtroom.

Shit, I wasn't prepared for this! I popped my head into the courtroom, filled to the brim with people. Avritt was sitting behind the desk at the front, looking very official in his long black robe, big glasses, and gavel the size of Thor's. He lifted his eyes to me, gesturing me in.

Slowly, I crept in by myself, eyes darting every which way, trying to take in everything at once. There were so many people here, all sitting around and talking quietly. They looked up as I entered, people pointing to me and laughing.

"There he is!" someone called out and I whipped to the direction of the voice. I didn't even recognize him; hell, I could hardly recognize anyone here. Most of the faces seemed foreign to me. Except for Jenika's, Suddeth's, Dale's, Mark's, Blake's, and Kelly's. Slowly, looking for my friends, I turned around.

"Elliott?" I whispered, glancing out and grasping for him but only touching, grabbing thin air. "Where are you?"

Suddeth crossed the room towards me. "He's late. Ready or not, it's time. Get up there, Foust."

"I—I can't—," I gasped, frantically looking around for someone, anyone, that I knew. For some small sense of solace. Everything seemed to be going entirely too fast. My mind was racing, barely able to compute quickly enough. I blinked hard, trying to clear my head. Lee winked at me from across the room. Shit—Lee? No, no! I turned around, desperate to get away, for somebody, anybody. My breath caught in my throat, Suddeth barking questions at me like a rabid dog, Avritt droning on in legalese. My neck muscles spasmed as court officials surrounded me, coming in on me.

"Convict him!" Suddeth ordered, turning to the crowd, seemingly my jury. "Find him guilty as charged!"

"Don't—don't I—," I sputtered, spinning around in a slow circle. I hadn't even gotten a chance to to defend myself! Elliott either! Hell, where was Elliott?

Avritt banged his gavel down. "Jury is out to deliberate. Find Mr. Foust guilty or not guilty on the charge of domestic violence."

"El-li-ott!" I screamed frantically. "Elliott!" Please, for the love of God...

Lee stood up. "Prosecution would like to upgrade charges to attempted manslaughter against Mr. Foust."

"No!" I shrieked, tears now stinging my eyes. "No! I swear, I didn't try to kill her, I didn't!"

"Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!" Blake, Kelly, Lee, and Suddeth chanted.

"Attempted manslaughter charges accepted on behalf of prosecution. This carries a sentence of ten years." Avritt banged his gavel down.

"No!" I screamed, hands flying to my face which now burning and on fire. "Elliott! Someone!"

"Oh Lord," I heard Casey's voice mutter in the audience. "They gonna convict him?"

"Such a shame." Dad shook his head. "Disgracing us. Tim, you're such a disappointment. Too bad we don't have a return policy on you."

Mom laid her head on Dad's shoulder, weeping. Taylor lifted a hand and patted her back.

"It's OK, Mom, it'll be OK. I'm still here. I'm the good one. I'm your real son."

I sank into the nearest chair, heartbroken at the upgraded charges, at my father's words (nobody wanted me, nobody ever had), at the impending ten to fifteen years in prison. I could hardly last a day—and I could be in prison for ten to fifteen years? I'd be fifty by the time I got out!