Chapter Sixteen

Janine's POV

As per protocol, I accompanied Diana to the funeral of her uncle. I must say that she looks so perfect in her little black dress, no wonder that Zayn's been staring at her like he is going to be totally crazy. I can see in his face that seeing her in that way was something he obviously could go crazy and daydream about. 

Yet knowing Zayn, as per what I've heard from Rose who happens to be the biggest One Direction fan I know, that despite of his being 'boy band figure', he is very respectful of girls and doesn't think that way unlike the other four lads, most especially Harry Styles. Harry is the cheeky (as per told by Rose to me) and very into girls, unlike Zayn who's the 'stick to one' kind of person.

Until now, I just don't get it why Lalaine broke up with Zayn. She should have kept on her mind that she is very lucky to have Zayn's attention and time only focused on her. But somehow, I am glad that they broke up because Zayn doesn't deserve that kind of treatment from any girl, let alone Lalaine. He deserves better.

"We have arrived already Miss," the driver told us. I smiled and gave him a nod.

"Diana, let's go." I told her. She just sat there, her eyes staring nowhere. But it is something I've been used to ever since though I find it spooky.

The door opened without me noticing. I turned to see a familiar face I've been seeing often in Diana's picture frame. The son of Diana's late uncle, Ashton Irwin. When I first saw him, I thought Ashton is Diana's twin brother but only to find out that he is the only adopted cousin Diana ever have and that they are very close. They grew up together despite that the don't have the same blood running through their systems and only each of their father's friendship is what binds both of them together. As far as I know, it was him who kept on visiting Diana inside the institution but lately, he couldn't because he is studying in Australia and returns here in London once a month.

"Hi," he greeted. "Thanks for accompanying Diana."

"It's my work, sir." I said.

He chuckled. "Just call me Ashton. I hate being called that way. I mean, I feel so old when I hear someone say that to me. Do I look like I am old?"

I chuckled knowing that he really is a jokester. "Sorry about your father, Si- I mean, Ashton."

He smiled weakly. "I'm sorry too but I am happy that he is now in a better place where he will not suffer the way he suffered when he was still alive."

I nodded weakly. "Uhm, shall we head inside?" I asked.

He nods. "Let me help you with Diana first," he said. I alighted the van and he held her hands. "Diana," he spoke. "It's Ashton. Let's go inside,"

Diana turned and a smile spreads across her face. "Ashton. You're here." she said in a low voice. 

Ashton smiled and nods. "Yes. Of course. And nanny's here too." he told her. "She'll be thrilled to see you and you too."

Diana nods and alighted the car, with the help of Ashton. As they walked together to the room where the funeral is currently being held, I followed and stayed behind. As soon as we enter the room, everyone's heads turn. Whispers and murmurs filled the air. Some stood up and greeted us.

Ashton led us to the front seats of the seats. There seated is Diana's nanny.

"Diana!" she cried in joy as soon as she saw us. She gave her a tight hug. "I miss you child." Diana smiled but remained silent. "You're so beautiful, just like your mother,"

"Thanks you," she murmured. Her nanny smiled upon hearing those words and gave her a hug.

"That's the first time I heard her speak in a while." Ashton told me, shocked that Diana spoke.