Into the Fire

The fierce battle that followed the clash was nothing like Anna had imagined it would be, nothing romantic, no beautiful heroism at all... real fighting came and terrified her like the awful monster that it actually was, with the sabers rattling and men falling injured and dead everywhere around her.

Anna managed to avoid a direct crash and crossed the enemy lines between two riders, slashing the throat of one of them as she passed. A second later she barely escaped from a very fast saber strike that nearly hit her left arm, and after that the Princess stabbed another rider right through the heart.

The surprised young man just looked into her eyes as he died, and then he fell from the horse and crashed on the bloody ground below-

"Your Highness!" Alistair screamed not far from her, engaged in battle against two men at once- "You have to get out of here! Now, to the castle!"

The screams of men and loud neighs of horses drowned every other sound apart from the muskets opening fire, the air remained full of acrid smoke after the artillery storm and all that Anna could see was the savage cavalry fighting all around her.

The colorful flags and bloodstained blades were everywhere, and she did not know anymore what direction would take her to the still distant White Castle...

At that moment an enemy General was so surprised to see Anna in the battlefield that he became frozen on the spot, giving her just enough time to deliver a wide slash of her saber and slice his throat open from one side to the other.

The blood splattered her face and Anna could not believe what she had just done, now advancing and trying desperately to escape from the wild and terrible fray-

The minutes felt like entire hours for Anna as the fighting continued, she was throwing saber slashes left and right to defend herself and then a red cloaked rider spotted the Princess and carefully raised his musket to have a good aim at her...

"Anna!"

Anna turned her head at the familiar sound of that voice, a dagger came flying out of nowhere, the sharp blade hit the enemy rider right in the throat and the musket fired anyway, but the shot aimed at Anna's heart missed and hit her right arm instead...

"What?!"

The proud and agile Kristoff came riding a brown horse out of nowhere, wielding a bloodstained saber and throwing a second dagger at an enemy Captain not far from the Princess. Anna could not believe her eyes when she realized that Kristoff was there, and incredibly she could feel no pain coming from her arm even though the bone was shattered.

"Just follow me, Anna!"

The cavalry fighting had started to disperse as the thunderous artillery returned, the distant blasts were deafening, there were great explosions in the fields and Anna realized that this time it was the enemy guns which were opening fire against the Arendellan forces.

Anna and Kristoff escaped from the fighting soon after that and rode together into the smoke and fires of the battlefield, and they were relieved to see that White Castle was visible once again between the distant columns of gray and black smoke...

"What the hell are you doing here?!" Anna screamed- "Kristoff, I ordered you to stay!"

"That doesn't matter now!"

The infantry forces from both sides had arrived at the valley at last, throwing grenades and shooting at each other from a distance... the wild Battle of Tannya was raging, and then the first enemy shell came from the sky and destroyed the highest tower of White Castle.

"They are trying to demolish the castle!" Anna cried out, shocked to think of the Arendellan soldiers that remained captive inside- "We have no time!"