The Queen's Lament

Arendelle Castle looked as peaceful as ever, there were just a few cirrus clouds in a clear blue sky and the birds were singing as the families in town began to wake up, soon preparing breakfast as usual and emerging from their houses to take care of the matters of everyday life.

It was a rather cold and windy day, the children were playing in the streets and the elegant Castle Guards patrolled their sleepy Town as usual... After all, the people attending the market and the Fountains Square were very far from the artillery fire, the cavalry charges and all of the other horrors of the Front.

Northern Arendelle had not yet received any news about the situation in the South, and even though everyone acted as normally as possible and tried to think positive, the angst was running wild everywhere around them...

Queen Elsa remained on her bed just staring in silence at the ceiling, her eyes all dark and sullen after having spent almost the whole night awake.

She had barely slept at all since the day when Anna had departed for the distant Tannya Valley, all the time trying her best to keep a wide variety of awful thoughts out of her mind and desperate to receive the first news about the situation at the Front...

"Anna, where are you?" Elsa whispered, sitting up at last and holding her magical Ice Mirror between both hands- "My little sister, what is happening down there?"

There would come no answer through the magical ice, everything was silent, all that the Queen could hear was the wind whispering outside and Elsa wished that she could go back in time and lead the Army herself instead of Anna.

Why did she have to send Anna to the war? Why did she have to let her little sister do this, and risk her life in battle?

Elsa could still see in her mind the crystalline image of Anna riding through the forest, a brave and inspiring noblewoman with a cavalry saber hanging from her waist and the green cloak rippling behind her in the wind.

It had been incredible to see her like that, but now Elsa was worried sick to the point that she had never felt like that in her entire life...

What had happened to Anna?

The Queen finally got out of bed, she combed her hair a little and took her favorite purple cloak out of the wardrobe...

Elsa had no way to know that the Battle of Tannya was coming to an end at those very moments, for her it was just a day like all the others and she planned to attend yet another War Council to organize the delivery of supplies to the Army.

Anna was lying unconscious on the ravaged battlefield while Elsa walked downstairs and arrived at the Fountains Square a few minutes later, and her mood already started to improve a little as she felt the sunlight on her face and the wind playing with her hair...

"Your Majesty!"

Elsa slowly turned her head to discover that one of the Castle Guards was running towards her, the man seemed to be quite excited and her heart began to beat faster when she thought that perhaps they had finally received some news from Tannya.

"What is it, Captain Andrew?"

"We have received an update" Andrew explained, coming to a halt and bowing at Elsa with the greatest respect- "The trenches are almost ready at the Sammel Line, together with the most advanced field hospital... the Crackers have been taken to all necessary positions, and our third delivery of supplies has made it there without any trouble."

"What about Tannya? Do we know anything about the battle?"

"No, your Majesty..."

Andrew realized just how pale and sickly Queen Elsa looked, she just remained standing there in silence and the Captain soon turned around and departed without another word. The situation was becoming unbearable for Elsa, and she began to consider the idea to just abandon Arendelle Castle and the Town and travel to the Front to find her sister.

"You were right, Hans" Elsa whispered to the sky, recalling the awful words and message written on that letter- "I should have destroyed you when I had the chance, and I am going to lament it for the rest of my life..."