Waiting for Kristoff

The freezing days that followed were a combination of joy and angst for Anna, since she was happy of finding herself back home and, at the same time, sad and worried about Kristoff and the other survivors that she had left behind at Snowhall Forest.

Anna was sent to have some rest at her personal bedroom the day after she arrived back at the Castle, and even though the medical staff did not really know a way to treat the chemical burns inside of her, the supportive care was valuable and the fits of coughing soon became less severe and a lot less frequent as well...

Elsa would visit her sister everyday to ask for updates about her condition, Anna was relieved to see that she had not departed with the reserve divisions yet and the doctors, full of enthusiasm, soon informed the Queen that most likely Anna had never been exposed to a lethal concentration of the poison gas.

The young and most resilient princess had suffered a considerable degree of respiratory damage anyway, but her lungs would recover with time and perhaps she would be capable of enjoying a normal life once again.

Anna finally informed the War Council that most of the Southerner forces had abandoned the war and returned home as part of a devastating mutiny, which had left Hans with something between four and six thousand men and no horses at all...

These were excellent news for the Queen and everyone else at the councils, a great relief indeed considering that, up to that point, they had been expecting to engage a much larger and far more threatening force that would be advancing by horse somewhere between Snowhall and the Town.

Elsa decided that they could take some time to organize a final and decisive offensive, the reserve divisions were called to action, the Town was in high alert and meanwhile everyone awaited patiently for the return of the squadrons of the Arendellan Castle Guard...

The weather started to get colder again, the days were passing without news of the rescue mission, everything was quite sad and uncertain and one day Anna was awakened by a Guard knocking on her door with considerable strength.

"Who is that?" Anna asked, her damaged voice coming from under those purple and blue blankets- "Please, let me sleep a little longer..."

"Your Highness!" the Guard exclaimed, standing at the other side of that door- "I have great news for you... The squadrons have returned!"

"What?! Excellent!"

The Princess of Arendelle was quite recovered after spending two weeks at the Castle, enjoying all of the great comforts that she had nearly forgotten during her time at the Front. It was true that her bad leg still caused some trouble, her voice had not recovered and the nightmares continued, but she was alive and loads of light had returned to her eyes.

Anna was happy of waking up everyday, and that morning in particular, wearing a white dress and her favorite purple cloak, she just dashed downstairs as fast as she could...

"Hi Elsa, where is everyone?" Anna asked, having found her sister at the middle of a hallway- "Where is Kristoff?"

"They just informed me too, come on!"

Anna and Elsa reached the entrance gates and dashed outside together, discovering that it was a snowy day once again and the Fountains Square was full of Arendellan Guards, curious townspeople and the battered but happy-looking survivors of the chemical attack...

"Kristoff!"

Elsa beamed as she witnessed how Anna dashed to greet her boyfriend, the young man limped towards her and after that they hugged right beside one of the frozen fountains...

"Hello, Anna" Kristoff said, looking down into her eyes- "It feels really weird to be back!"

"I have thought about you all day, every day" Anna replied, so happy and extremely relieved to see Kristoff once again- "What happened back there?"

Anna had realized already that the spears, halberds and swords of the Guards were covered by dark and frozen blood, many of them were injured and it looked like Kristoff had been shot in a leg. A few of the Guards had arrived in a severe condition, and all of them were shivering in the freezing and powerful wind...

"Yeah, they found us a week ago and everything seemed perfect, but we came under enemy fire a few hours after that" Kristoff explained, and it was then when he noticed that Anna was worried about his injured leg- "It does not hurt that much, Anna... Anyway, the group that attacked us was small, and the Arendellan Guards fought really well!"

"They found you just in time!"

Elsa herself greeted General Matthew not far from Kristoff and Anna, Alistair was congratulating the Guards and very soon everyone entered the warm and comfortable castle, so the medical staff could look after those that had been injured.

"You look so much better now, Anna..."

Anna supported Kristoff as they crossed the gates together, and even though the temperature was plummeting to dangerous levels of cold once again, everyone could feel that brighter times were just ahead.

The snowy wind transformed into a storm, since the Queen's Magic was back at work and a great strategy for the final offensive was already forming in her mind...