chapter twenty-two

The stride back to the house took a lot longer than it should have. Obviously the house was huge but it wasn't the distance that was the problem. It was more so the very irritating friends of my parents who had to stop me and my hunky boyfriend in our midst back to the house.

The greetings and questions were typical.

"Evangeline, how are you dear?"

"How's school been going?"

"I see you have a boyfriend now."

I received just what I accepted from them. Harry as usual was very quiet and well behaved while I conversed with people who I barley even recognised let alone remembered them enough to have a conversation about their lives. He greeted everyone and answered what he was asked when he was asked and was being his usual gentlemanly self. I didn't expect anything other than that from him anyway. That was his personality, he was raised well. I have to say something to his parents when I meet them.

His parents were bound to be perfect displays of human specimen. They produced such a lovely, dashing young man. He is in every way outstanding, and I have no doubt in the world they're just as amazing.

I see Poppy and Carter on the other side of the room, they too are talking to a couple who don't look familiar in any way but odds are they're actually related to me somehow. Poppy and Carter were the cutest. Her arm was wrapped in his and she rested on his shoulder not so much so it looked sloppy but it looked affectionate. They were all smiles and we had almost reached them when my mother stepped right into our path.

Shit.

I felt Harrys hand tense on mine, I squeezed his gently in reassurance. There is no way in hell my mum would say anything about what she saw earlier, right now. She wouldn't dream of making a mockery of herself here in front of everyone at the party and I knew she certainly didn't want that.

We stood there for a bit just looking at each other; I start to re think my previous statement about her not saying anything. I can see the wheels turning in her head. She is starting to turn a faint red again. I cannot believe she is going to do this now. I squeeze my eyes shut and wait for her to come out with it but when she doesn't I open my eyes to find she is now standing closer to me and she doesn't look angry, more sincere.

"Eva, I wanted to apologize for earlier." Apologize? What in the world?"I can see Harry is a good boy and I can see you're happy and that's all that matters." What the fuck? I'm pretty sure she is drunk. I look up at Harry to see a smug smirk plastered on his perfectly sculpted face. Wow what a surprise someone else likes him he was obviously impressed with himself.

I let go of his cocky hand for a moment and reach out to hug my mother. This was by far the only time she has been accepting of something like this. She wraps her arms tightly around me and I rest on her shoulder for a second and take her for that very short time. I would most likely never have an instant like this with my mum again so I'm going to enjoy it. "Thank you for accepting us mum." I mean it genuinely; I couldn't be more pleased that my mum is okay with Harry and I.

I hear some awes and ahhs but just continue to hug her in peace.

"It's okay, we'll talk later you two have a good time." She gestures to me and Harry. I take my place at his side once again and his arm is instantly around me pulling me closer. My mother winks at Harry and in no time is turned around and talking to someone else.

"Did she wink at you?" I ask him in disbelief, half laughing.

"I think she did." He chokes out.

Finally we are met with Poppy and Carter.

I give Carter a quick hug. "Carter I haven't seen you in months, oh my god how have you been?"