Chapter 9

Lucy's POV:

A few days have passed since I've figured out that my puppy is not actually a puppy, but a being from space. It's actually been pretty relaxing around the house. Loki knew I had my speech to write, and he would read books on the couch while I typed away on my computer.

Right now, I was trying to figure out if I had enough written on my speech to give Anna an answer.

I let out a groan as my phone lights up beside me. It was as if Anna had read my mind. Loki looks up from his book with a raised eyebrow.

"That is your fifth groan in the past hour. Are you that bad at writing speeches?" his tone was both irritated and perplexed.

"No I'm not bad! I just have to text Anna, and I don't really know which parts of this presentation to highlight the most. It is all important new information." Loki sits up on the sofa with a sigh.

He puts his book down - the second one for today - and walks over to me at the table. He looks over my shoulder at the speech I have pulled up on my screen, and looks from that down to my phone, which buzzed again.

"Tell me why answering Anna is so important?" he asks and I frown.

"Anna always has these little outings the last Friday of every month. We go to bars, clubs, or places like that to have a few drinks and take a load off from the month. But this time I have so much to do for the conference - since it's two weeks away now - that I don't think it's a good idea for me to go. But I told her I'd let her know if I'm far enough on my speech and all that." I say with a huff and Loki shrugs his shoulders.

"Just go. What's a few hours going to hurt anybody?" he asks and I pout.

"I don't even know if what I have is good though." I fret and Loki rolls his eyes.

"Then I'll read it and tell you." he says and I raise an eyebrow.

"You wouldn't be able to tell me if the information is accurate." I muse and Loki gives me a grin.

"Are you worried about your information or your speech? If your information is accurate, then worrying about how it's presented should be the least of your worries. Focus on your speech and the information will come out the way it's supposed to." he says and I open my mouth to say something against his thought, but I have nothing.

"Yeah, that's true." I mumble and look up at him. "When did you get so versed in public speaking?"

Loki laughs. "I am a king, after all. Or at least, I was. I'm extremely intelligent and well-read on many matters, dear." he says and I silently agree with him on that. He is definitely that.

"Well thank you, then, for the advice. I'll keep it in mind." I say and he leans over and puts an elbow on the table, resting his head as he stares at my speech.

"So if we both work on your speech, because I will admit I am getting bored just reading books all day, you should be able to go to your party thing with Anna." he says and an idea pops in my head.

"I'll go on one condition." I say and he shifts his eyes over at me. "You come with me." I say and his eyebrows go up.

"You want me to come?" he asks and chuckles, standing back up and looking down at me.

"Are you mad?" he questions and my shoulders sag.

"I thought it would be fun for us to do something." I say and he pinches the bridge of his nose and takes in a breath before sighing, looking at me.

"Fine. I will go with you." I clap my hands together excited and Loki rolls his eyes, but he smiles nonetheless. It was always awkward for me to be by myself anyways. Anna usually brings her boyfriend and the other friends who go with us usually have a date or someone they're just trying to get with for the night.