Chapter 12

Lucy's POV:

Loki had his hands against his head as he sat on the couch. His elbows rested on his knees and I can hear him sigh. 

I pace in front of him, mildly freaking out. 

"Who is that guy?" I ask and Loki finally looks up at me.

"It's one of Thanos's men, like I said before. They are monstrous creatures who solely do his bidding. And now that they know I'm alive, they could very well be after me again." Loki says, looking both annoyed and scared. 

"How powerful is this Thanos guy, exactly? Or I guess, his men?" I ask and he frowns at me. 

"They have legions of men who destroy planets, killing everyone in their path. They've attacked earth too," he murmurs and my eyes widen. I pray it's not the attack I'm thinking of.

"Do they attack major cities...or have giant monsters?" I ask hesitantly and he gives me a sad look.

"Yes to both." he replies and I swallow, trying to take a few breaths. Those men...the ones hunting Loki and the ones who terrorized my life...they could all be connected?

"So they would the cause of a lot of damage and death...and they know you're alive now..." I breathe, trying not to get panicked. 

"Thanos must be some real formidable opponent to have such terrifying forces...it must be scary knowing he's out there." I murmur and I hear Loki let out a long sigh.

"I know what happened to you family, Lucy." Loki says suddenly and I look over at him surprised. He's standing up now, staring at me with conflicted eyes. My heart starts to thump in my chest.

"What?"

Loki shifts his feet uncomfortably before taking in a breath. "I looked at your memories awhile back, and I saw the events that led to your family's death. I saw how they died." He admits and I shrink.

"Oh, you can do that, huh?" I murmur before shaking my head. "Was it to understand my nightmares?"

Loki nods his head. "Yes, I wanted to know why you had such awful dreams."

Well, I suppose that makes sense. It showed he cared about me, even if it's just a little bit.

"I mean, it's okay that you know. I was probably going to tell you about it soon enough." I give him a small smile but he doesn't return it.

"Lucy, it's worse than you think," his eyes are guarded and quite...sad. I raise an eyebrow as if to ask why, because I wasn't following how him knowing was so much worse.

"I know who was the cause of your family's death. It wasn't Thanos, either."

His statement shocked me. My body tensed and I could feel tears threatening to come to my eyes. I tried to wrap my head around the fact that maybe he knew who started that attack that killed my family. He isn't from earth after all, so maybe he had more connections than I thought he did. And if it wasn't Thanos...who was it? The prospect of knowing the person who killed my family was terrifying. 

"You know?" I finally ask and Loki looks very pained as he stares at me.

"You must know this, Lucy. I was a completely different person seven years ago, and I was full of anger and rage, and sought help from someone I never should have." He says desperately and a lump forms in my throat. The feeling I was beginning to get was making me nauseous. The way he was talking...

"Lucy I didn't understand the gravity of my decisions at the time, but I do now. I-"

"Loki what are you trying to tell me?"