forest

It was her seventh birthday.

Except, she didn't really know it. She didn't know what the concept meant. Everyday was just a day. She'd found out what Christmas was from Aunt Annie a few weeks ago. And when she asked her mother if they could celebrate it, she'd received the worst backhanded slap one could possibly imagine.

It didn't really hurt that much anymore though. Her brain just...shut off or something when her mother was in the room.

Or anyone else she was subjected to.

"Spin."

She blinked, looking up from the floor to see a man sitting in a chair. His trousers were unbuttoned.

"Spin."

She obeyed.

It felt wrong. Everything felt wrong. But she was stupid. What did she know? That's why her mother was always angry.

Something dripped from her nose. Red. Blood. It made a circle on the white marble as she spun, making her tilt her head to look at it. She wasn't really scared of blood anymore.

There was much more blood when her mother had taken out three of her baby teeth for falling asleep on the living room floor.

She blinked rapidly, trying to forget that particular memory.

"She seems sad," the man commented.

"So don't look at her face," her mother snapped, placing her glass of wine on the coffee table with a thud.

She flinched and spun once more.

"You want me to not look at someone with a face like that?" The man laughed like her mother was stupid. No one had ever done that before.

It made her feel anxious. She spun more, her white dress swishing. She didn't want an angry mother. Her face still hurt. Her mother wouldn't care if something broke again.

"Get out." Her heart stopped at her mother's voice. She stopped spinning and stumbled hard, rushing towards the door. "Not you, Emmalynn."

She heard shuffling and the sound of a zipper as she stood frozen, facing away from them. The pain hadn't even started yet and she felt like someone was using a belt on her bare body.

The man grabbed her chin as he passed, a crazy look in his eyes as before he looked behind her.

"If I didn't love someone else, I would have just taken this one. Consider yourself lucky, Miss Canalis. Your daughter is going to make men and women maniacs."

The man left before her mother could reply.

"Turn around, Emmalynn."

She did as she was told.

"If you stop smiling, I'll start again from the beginning."

SHE WOKE UP WITH A SCREAM.

Light flooded her room and heavy footsteps made her cry harder. She pressed her fist to her mouth, muffling any noise that could alert the person there was someone under the bed.

"Emma?" The voice was frantic.

The haze broke. Emma opened her eyes and looked around.

You're safe now.

She scrambled out from underneath the bed, ignoring the humiliation that made her face burn. It's not like she hadn't made a fool of herself in front of him many times before. She had to explain herself before he kicked her out and she had to go live with her mother again.

The thought of her mother made bile rise in her throat as tears spilled down her cheeks.

"I'm sorry, sir. I'll be quiet - I - please," she stopped for a moment, unable to get any words of apology out because she was crying so hard, "I apologise, sir. Please, it won't happen again." She clasped her hands in front of her.

Why did words leave her when she needed them the most? Her heart beat faster. It felt like it was going to leave her chest at any given moment.

He was going to kick her out.

She couldn't keep any promises.

I can't go back.

So she kneeled down in forgiveness, pressing her forehead in front of his feet.

"Please, sir. This is the last time. I swear. I'll be so quiet. I'm - it's just that - mamma was so mad -please, I just need one more chance."

She wanted to stop crying. But fear makes you do stupid things. And the fear of going back made a mess of her.

Emma stiffened as gentle hands came down on her shoulders, pulling her up. She looked up, hesitantly.

Noah's eyes were bloodshot. Watery.

She had woken him up.

"You're safe now," he murmured, pulling her to his chest gently. "She won't ever get to see you again, Emma. I made a promise to someone...very important that I'll give you safety. I intend to keep that until my last breath."

He sat her down on the bed before taking a seat in front of her.

"I'll get you warm milk. Sit here."

He was back before she even knew it.

"You can drink it, it's not too hot."

He sat in front of her on the bed. The dark circles under his eyes were more prominent. But Emma had never seen someone so beautiful before.

Her brother looked like a prince.

And he was safe.

"You're safe," Emma murmured, looking up at him shyly. "You're the nicest person I have ever met, sir. I hope I'll be able to see you after this year is over. Just once in a year is enough for me."

She knew how busy her brother was.

His eyes were sad even if he smiled and nodded. But he didn't answer. It sent a strange pang of hurt in her heart.

"Your tutor is coming tomorrow - today actually, at 9 am. Then I'll take you to the penthouse so you can learn what I do. That's very important..." The last part, he said to himself.

Emma looked at him slightly confused.

"But why would I need to learn what you do?"

A haunted look came to his eyes. And just like that, it was gone. It felt like she'd imagined it all.

"Just in case."

Emma kept the alarm from showing on her face.

"Just in case what, sir?" She asked softly.

Please don't leave.

"Just in case I'm not here."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬