Chapter 12: Cynosure

Joseph's POV

Breathe in, breathe out. I am still in our car, repeating my speech for the possible interview in the track and field, trying to calm myself. I feel nervous.

"Okay, I'll try one more time then I'm going." I told to myself before reciting the speech again.

"Everyone says I'm special. Born with angelic face that's why I'm always competing beauty pageants during my elementary days. My parents are successful on their profession, their schedules became busier which is why I grew up my nanny. I used to receive a lot of gifts and love letters in elementary, however things changed as I stepped on high school. I gained more popularity than before and being entitled as a "Heartthrob". Most of them loves me, there are some who loves dragging people down and their target was me. Being bullied verbally is worse than ever. Now I'm ready to face the college life. My friends told me that I should go for sports since I have athletic physique so here I am."
I finished the speech without stutter. I grabbed my things and went out of the car.

I never thought this university was this big. I roam around until I realized I was lost. I saw a group of people, I think they're seniors and approaching them may be a good thing.

"Excuse me... Could you please help me, I wanna know where the faculty room is. Do you girls know where it is?"
The group of seniors stopped their chatter at the sight of me, some of them looked at me with slight recognition.
"Sure thing." One of them answered.
I gave them a soft smile, bowing slightly in thanks. They walked me in front of the faculty. While we were walking, the few passer-by look on in interest as many more people began to recognize who I was and they slowly started crowding in.

"That's him right?"

"I think so! Should we get a picture?"

"Should we? Oh my gosh, this is rare don't you think!"

I frown slightly. "Hey, thanks for leading me but I think I could handle it from here." I said with a wary smile.
A few seniors told me that they wouldn't mind accompanying me around the campus.

"Can we take a picture with you, please?"

"Are you really Joseph?"

The wariness I felt only grew as I see the crowd muttering too loud for my liking as they come closer, surrounding me. I can feel a sudden difficulty in breathing with all these people around me, pushing each other to make their own way towards me.

A girl from behind accidentally pushed me causing me to fall on my knees, I felt dizzy. I think I couldn't take it anymore. I fell to my knees from the force of the push as I felt my exhaustion creep up. My pants ruin slightly around the knees, revealing the wounds. The wounds in which old scars were placed on the same spot just like it did back then.

A flashback of memories pass by in a flurry. Memories go back to a time in which everything had been horrible. The day I was kidnapped.

The image of cages all lined up, where I, myself had sat inside. I couldn't quite remember much that day for I chose to forget everything else. All I remember were wounds that's on the same place on my knees and elbows, cages, and being saved.

I let out a shaky breath to calm myself as I hug my knees, avoiding the wounds. I hid my face, not minding everyone around me.

"It will be better.." I whispered.
Everything will change for good.
At least, I hope it would be.