Chapter 34

A/N: I'm not dead-

I trudge back to the dormitory before breakfast the next morning and notice Will staring at me with his eyes narrowed.

"What?" I ask folding my arms across my chest and letting out a yawn. I didn't sleep at all last night.

"Where have you been?"

I shrug. "I walked around last night for a while and couldn't sleep so I just explored the compound," I lie. "Why?"

"Just wondering." He continues to look at me suspiciously.

"Where's Christina?" I ask, trying to change the subject.

"I think she's looking for you." He tries to hide a smile, and I slightly raise my eyebrow. Did she do it? "I don't know."

"Well," I state. "I'm hungry. Let's go get breakfast before Four drags us off somewhere."

Will laughs while nodding his head and follows me to the dining hall.

•••

Christina was already waiting for us when we got to the dining hall, and we've been munching on muffins for ten minutes when Tobias stands up and walks to our table.

"Transfers!" he yells. "We're doing something different today. Follow me."

He leads us out of the room and I walk between Christina and Will. They keep glancing at each other and I roll my eyes. "Guys," I say. "If you kissed, you can just tell me."

"Tris!" Christina shouts with a blush on her face.

"I knew it!" I shout, hitting her lightly on the shoulder then punching Will's a little harder. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because you're the one who told me to go for it," she says, "and I knew you'd figure it out."

I laugh. "I'm happy for you guys."

Will's about to respond when the line suddenly stops moving and I run into a back.

"Careful," Tobias says, looking down at me with a smirk. He then addresses the group. "This," he starts, and I finally look around to realize where we are, "is a different kind of simulation known as the fear landscape. It has been disabled for our purposes, so this isn't what it will be like the next time you see it."

I zone out as Tobias talks about the fear landscapes since I've already done it and know the rules quite well. I think about last night and blush. What does this boy do to me?

I snap back to reality when my boyfriend finishes the explanation. "So I suggest that you take the next week to consider your fears and develop strategies to face them."

We start to walk back toward the Pit and I notice Will's arm around Christina. They're smiling bigger than I've seen them smile so far in this life. They look so happy.

Maybe I won't screw that up this time.

Word count: 457
Updated on 08/31/19