Chapter(26) The Ex

Recap;
I'll ask him questions and make sure that there's no broken bones tonight before we go to bed, but I guess that for now I'm going to have to be patient and enjoy the day. So I go into the living room with my family that I love so much and watch and laugh at Brooklynn 99

Currently: Skip to bedtime... Toby's POV
The day went well I think, all we did was wrap each other in blankets, watch Brooklynn 99, eat junk food and that was it. But now it's eleven o'clock at night and the girls are in their beds, hopefully sleeping. Liza is being weened off the sleeping drink because she seems to be getting better. Her wrists and thighs are only being checked once every other day now too.

Tomorrow is the big six-month anniversary of when they adopted Liza, and she's made big progress. So we're all going out to breakfast as a surprise for her tomorrow. We haven't told her or Sam though, I think they've been becoming quite close which is what all we adults were hoping for. They love each other like sisters I think anyways, I have-to talk to Sam tomorrow, away from everyone else and make sure she's alright. I mean we talk but I want to make sure that she's okay.

We all sit down on the couch, drink in hand for every one of us. I collapse last on to the couch with James and drink my beer before I stop for a breath. I sit the now empty beer bottle on the end table and rest my head against James' thigh. He runs a hand through my hair, my ribs are aching, and the bruising has already appeared on my ribs.

The bruises on my ribs are the worst. They're black, the slap mark on my face is starting to appear, and the ones on my legs are bad too. I must've twisted an ankle when I was thrown as well because walking seems to be painful. They need me to come in tomorrow though as well. So I can deal with the violent patient that no one else wants to.

Lew and Mark are sitting on the opposite couch watching the news when Mark suddenly shuts off the tv. I close my eyes knowing that he's about to explode and demand to know what the hell was wrong with me yesterday and earlier today. I turn over so my face is buried in James hip. My head is pounding and him screaming at me isn't about to help anything.

"Toby what the hell happened? We all know that it wasn't just some homophobe because you've been through a hell of a lot worse. That might have been a factor to what was going on, but that's not all of it. What's. Going. On?" Mark says slowly. I feel someone try to pick me up from my spot on the couch but I hold onto one of the metal bars in the couch so they can't move me.

"It's just me hon, let go please," James says so I let go and I'm pulled on to his lap. My bum on his criss-crossed legs, and my head on his chest listening to his heartbeat. I know that Marks right, there was something else, but I'll be damned if I say anything to them. I love James but he's super protective and I don't want him to worry.

The violent man that was strapped down to the hospital bed was my ex-boyfriend. He was mentally and physically abusive, and the break-up was him going to jail for drug possession. I had to tell Lew and Mark the night that we broke up. They got to pick me up at the station, they weren't impressed at all.

But once I explained what had happened in detail and promised not to keep promises for them again, they were just sad. But I never did tell James about him, because I thought that I'd never see him again. But now I did and everything he did is coming back and I hate it.

So, I'm going to avoid the problem. I get up and walk to the kitchen with everyone following me. Normally I only have one drink, and these are stronger than what I normally drink. I pop another open and chug that one. Now I'm done, I have my buzz my brain is slightly fuzzy, but my vision is fine. Exactly where I like to be, not quite drunk per say but enough to make me feel like I'm on top of the world.