Part 36

Later that day I found myself at lunch, staring into a bowl of soup, wishing I could dive in and disappear for a while, instead of having to eat it. I wasn’t really hungry and was about to get up and leave instead of waste my time at the table doing nothing. Then I noticed Amanda and Sara whispering about me even though I was sitting five feet from them. I sat very still trying to hear what they were saying without making it obvious I was eavesdropping.

“I heard that she snuck pills in and tried to kill herself.”

“What a psycho. She should be in a nuthouse, not in rehab.”

“She’s some orphan or shit like that. I don’t think she even has a drug problem. She just has nowhere else to go.”

“She’s probably here for bullshit like smoking weed. How lame.”

“One of the guys told me that she’s some kind of sex freak. Like she’ll do anything to get with a guy.”

“How pathetic can you get. I almost feel sorry for her.”

“Why? Just look at her. It’s her own fault if no one talks to her. She just sits there staring at people.”

“You’re right. She’ll probably end up killing us all in our sleep.”

After hearing that, I couldn’t take it anymore.

“It’s a beautiful day, don’t you think?” I said to them.

They looked up at me, startled, though I doubt they cared if I had heard them talking smack like that. I wonder if they even knew what my voice sounded like before this. There was no response from either of them.

For some reason though, I kept on “I can’t think of any other way to spend such a beautiful day than sitting in rehab with a bunch of stuck up witches and junkie freaks,” I told them.

I almost laughed out loud at the expressions on their face after I said that. It was a mixture of shock, irritation, and arrogance.

“Uh, excuse me,” Amanda said in this snooty, stick-up-her-butt tone. “I don’t know who you think you’re talking about.”

Both she and Sara just glared at me while waiting for a reply.

“You don’t?” I asked in feigned shock. “I guess you must be a moron as well as a witch,” I told her in the sweetest voice I could possibly muster.

Her eyes practically popped out of her head and her nostrils flared in anger. I don’t think she could have looked nastier if she tried.

“Who the fuck do you think you’re talking to bitch?” Sara butted in.

“I guess that makes two morons,” I responded. “Because if you haven’t picked up on the fact that I’m talking to and about the both of you, then there’s no other explanation.”

Sara lunged out of her chair at me. She was sitting across the table a few chairs down so I didn’t even bother to get up.

Instead I started laughing. “What are you going to do? Kick my ass? Please, try me. If I even bothered to waste my energy on someone as worthless as you, I’d have you under the bottom of my boot before you knew what hit you.”

This made her even more furious and she started coming around the table. I stood up then and braced myself for whatever happened next.

I saw Sara’s fist before it even had a chance to take aim. As she tried to punch me in the face, I ducked, stood back up, and sent a left hook right into her ribs. Before she could retaliate, I swung my right fist at her face, cracking her right in the eye. Sara lost her balance, so I grabbed her by the hair, pulled it backward, and threw her to the floor. As soon as she was on the ground I put my combat boot enclosed foot on her stomach, looked down at her, and said “What now?”