Chapter 20

"This is a good idea, isn't it?" You asked Gray for the tenth time, needing reassurance as you looked on at the police station doors from his car.

He cut you a look. "No."

"Why are you so against this?"

"I told you! This is a bad idea but, hey, it's your show."

"Show?" You spat through your teeth. "This isn't a game, Gray! And if it is, I'd really like someone to explain the fucking rules!"

"Chill," he said, lowering his voice. "I didn't mean it like that, okay? I'll follow you in there, but don't be surprised if this comes back to bite us in the ass. I'm just worried that this is going to make us look more suspicious."

"Gray," you breathed, leaning closer and putting your hand over his. "We're in this together. I know you're innocent and soon everyone else will too."

His fingers stretched and weaved between yours. "I wish I could share your optimism."

"I'll be optimistic for both of us."

He took a breath and grabbed the box of Lyon's kinky, and frankly horrifying, sex stuff with death grip. It was as if he felt guilty that he was about to expose his brothers dark secret.

There was a possibility that the killer could have been Lyon or Juvia. Maybe. You didn't particularly want anyone else knowing what they got up to in the bedroom, because it was clearly something Juve wanted to keep quiet, but you were running out of options.

"Are you ready?" You asked.

Gray smiled, but it was forced. He got out of his truck and you followed behind. Your heart buzzed with nerves and the palms of your hands started to sweat. Oh God, this is one of the worst ideas I've ever had. You just hoped Wright wouldn't think you were only sharing your theory to cover up your guilt, specifically Gray's. He probably would, but you couldn't ignore what you'd found, unfortunately.

Wright stood beside the front desk talking to a colleague and he turned as if he'd sensed you walking in. Your stomach knotted. How did he just know? The man wasn't human.

"And to what do I owe this pleasure?" Wright asked, threading his fingers together over his swollen belly.

Gray's eyes narrowed. "We'd like to talk to you. If it's not too much trouble."

"Have you come to confess, Mr. Fullbuster?"

"We want to talk to you about another possibility," you said, cutting in before Gray could bite back with a stupid remark. "If you can spare us the time?"

"For you, Miss (L/N), anything."

Cocky, sarcastic bastard. You smiled, or what you hoped looked like a smile, and followed him into the all too familiar interview room. "How has no one ever killed him?" Gray whispered in your ear.

You shrugged. Wright must have rubbed enough people the wrong way. You wondered if he conducted every investigation the way he was this one. Surely not. Your knowledge of policing and detective work was limited to TV shows, but he didn't seem professional. He was too eccentric in a pushing unprofessional manner.

"Take a seat," he said, gesturing to the metal chairs. Being in an interview room made you feel like a criminal. It was like when a police car followed you on the road. You'd done nothing wrong, but you're positive you were going to get in trouble anyway.

Gray was sitting so close his arm brushed yours. It wasn't accidental. He knew you needed the support and you leaned on him like a lifeline.

"So," Wright said, waving his hand, "you have the floor."