Chapter 3

Two hours later, Gray and you were back at the cabin and indulging in drinking again with your friends. It didn't take long for you to get tipsy again... and then go straight to being drunk. You still knew your name and the prime ministers, but you definitely had one too many.

Tipping your head back, you laughed hysterically until your stomach muscles screamed in protest. Everything that was only remotely amusing when you were sober was heightened when you were drunk—so Jellal falling over was hilarious. He didn't even go all the way down—it was more like a stumble—but you were drunk, so it didn't matter. He stood up and looked around as if hoping no one had seen.

You giggled uncontrollably.

"Piss off," he snapped, narrowing his eyes at Juvia as she laughed too.

"Touchy," she murmured, leaning into Lyon's chest as he put his arm around her.

Jellal folded his arms. "Touchy? Really, Juve?"

If Juvia had tripped, she wouldn't have found it funny.

"Back off," Lyon barked.

Could you not go an hour without someone arguing anymore?

Pre-Lyon you rarely bickered. You groaned and held your full stomach. It was full from stuffing your face with (f/f), and it was probably the only reason you could hold all of the alcohol you'd drunk.

Gray kicked his feet up on the coffee table and threw his arm over the back of the sofa behind you. Natsu's onyx eyes turned suspicious as he watched us. You refused to meet his eye and wrapped your arms around yourself, not liking being the center of anyone's attention.

Your walk with Gray had caused a few raised eyebrows. Your friends—minus Juvia and definitely excluding Lyon—seemed to think he was bad news, but that was probably because he was related to Lyon and they hadn't really spoken to him yet. If they were giving Lyon a second—or tenth—chance, they could certainly give Gray a first one. Natsu was stubborn and protective though, so you knew he'd be the hardest to convince.

"Oh my God, we are going to be so hungover tomorrow," Lucy whined. She wasn't as drunk as she acted, but she had always been like that. She'd perfected her look-at-me wobble, blatantly tripping over her own feet. She didn't like being drunk and losing control, but she didn't like to be the odd one out, so she pretended. Everyone knew she pretended. You thought she knew you knew, but you all went along with it and laughed at silly, drunk Lucy wobbling. It was kind of ridiculous.

"More shots!" Natsu announced, pointing to the empty shot glasses on the table. You had lost count of how many you had so far. But as much as you had already drunk, you were going pretty slow compared to that night.

Gray was surprisingly sober for the amount he'd put away. You suspected he drank quite a bit at home to have that kind of tolerance. He walked in a straight line when he got up for more beer.

As the shots kept coming, you started to feel sick. Your stomach turned, and every time you swallowed, you felt like your throat was pinching shut. Lucy had brought some Italian liquor with her and made you finish the bottle because, as she put it, "If I take that crap back with me, my mother will disown me." You could see why. It tasted of lemon and burned on the way down. It was probably what toilet cleaner tasted like. You also polished off Natsu's bottle of spiced rum.

You groaned and craned your neck. Your body felt heavy and weak. You were getting to the sleepy part of being drunk. Everything was swimming and spinning.

"Does anyone else feel weird?" You asked. God, I'll be lucky if I'm not sick tonight.

Lucy giggled. "What, drunk?"