Chapter 23

The rest of my weekend was spent hidden away in my bedroom, I had absolutely no desire to go anywhere else and it’s been days since I’ve spoken with him.

My phone eventually ran out of battery, I left it on my bedroom floor to slowly ring itself to sleep. Text messages from Holly were deleted, emails from Jade were left unanswered and phone calls from Ed were ignored. 

I would avoid school altogether if I could but I know Mr. Flannigan is expecting Ed and I in his office this morning, that was something I really wasn’t looking forward too.

I slowly dress myself and get ready for the shitty day ahead of me, I just didn’t realise it would start out bad so early in the morning.

Climbing down the stairs I’ve noticed my parents have already left for work, leaving me with no way of getting to school. My only option now is to walk in the icy rain.

I find my green coat, throw my bag on my back and immerse myself into the stormy weather, the black clouds completely cover the morning sky and the rain comes down in buckets.

Before I have even left my driveway I’m already soaking wet, every step inside my boots fills them up more with muddy water.

My vision hazy and blurred from the water that was running down from my hair into my eyes.

I follow the road that will eventually lead me to school, crossing my arms over my body at an attempt to keep some warmth in.

I can see the school in the distance and I already begin to feel sick.

Cars drive by me and splash the dirty brown water onto me, turning my socks into puddles. I was almost positive one of the cars belonged to Henry.

I stop walking and consider turning back, I stare down at the long road before me and think of the miserable day ahead of me, finally I decide I’m better off at home.

Before I turn around I notice A red car pull up a few meters in front of me, I stare at it and watch the passenger door swing open.

I bite my lip as I weigh up my options, turn back and head home with a principle left waiting for me who will definitely call my mother. Ignore the kind gesture before me and continue walking myself, or to jump in and face my fears.

Closing the door behind me I pull my hood back from my face and put my seatbelt on, I turn to Ed and he simply stares at me. I wasn’t sure what I was expecting with Ed, sadness or anger at least.

Instead he slowly smiles and his face lightens up, His dimples showing making him look incredibly cute. I tighten my lips together and give him a small smile as water continues to trickle down my face.

“Why are you walking in the rain? You look miserable.”

he chuckles and I shrug at him and look out the windscreen, watching the rain continue to pour down.

“Wouldn’t you be if you had to walk in the rain?”

The car slowly pulls out onto the road and we begin the drive to school.

“I haven’t heard from you in a while… I’ve been really worried about you. Why didn’t you answer any of my calls?”

I knew this was coming, but I can’t think of anything to say. I begin to mumble and stutter my words, I take a deep breath in and close my eyes.

“I just needed to be alone”

I look at Ed and he nods at me, his cheek still red from the other night.

It went silent for a moment and then Ed began rambling nervously, his eyes not moving away from the road in front of us.

“Listen I just want you to know that I miss you and that I never meant to hurt you Loren, I really didn’t and I just don’t think that this has to be over just because of what happened with Missy. I just need to know if you meant it the other night when you said we were finished.”