Chapter 4

The final bell of the day rang out, I let out a sigh of relief and begin grabbing my stuff. 

I shuffle down the hallway accidentally knocking people over with my guitar, I say sorry a dozen times before I’ve even left the main building.

Finally I’m out in the open cold air, after putting in my earphones I pull out a cigarette and head down the path that eventually leads to my house. I was almost home when I could hear a faint noise, it got more clear every step I took.

“Loren! Wait up!”

I turn my head to the sorce of the noise and smile as Ed comes up next to me.

“you really should wear a bell man” I say to him with a giggle.

“You just need to not have your music up so loud! You’ll go deaf” he reaches over and gently removes the music from my ears.

“yeah I get that a lot, so what are doing here?” I ask him with a questioning look.

“the same as you, walking home. I live down here, just past that field actually”

If he lived near the field then he was only a few short minutes away from my place.

“were probably neighbors you know, i live on that field.”

It’s true, my new home was a big yellow wooden thing sitting in the middle of a beautiful green field, I still haven’t explored it all yet but I was planning on making time for that on the weekend.

Ed looked up at me with a surprised expression, his eyebrows raised high.

“You live on the old Hutcherson field!?”

That name did sound familiar, I had overheard my parents talk about it once.

“uhm yeah I think so, why do you look so shocked?” I said while taking in a long draw of my smoke.

Ed simply shook his head with a smirk.

“Oh no reason. Well this is where we part ways”

We had reached the start of my driveway already and he was beginning to strut away. I grabbed his arm and tugged him back to face me.

“I don’t think so! First you have to tell me the truth!” I said with a slight chuckle in my voice.

He bit his bottom lip and avoided my eyes.

“nah I don’t think you could handle it”

This irratated me, he didn’t know what I could or couldn’t handle but I played on with it.

“Please Ed, it will drive me crazy thinking about it!”

“alright but we will need to sit down somewhere, I’m knackerd”

I nodded and began walking up my drive way, he kept in perfect stride with me.

We walked through the long grass until we reached a tall tree that I have been admiring from my bedroom window since I arrived.

“Will this do?” I said to him while whirling my arms in the air, he looked around and smiled.

“Not to shabby!”

The tree was tall with bright orange leaves, it’s giant roots were sticking from the ground creating a sort of bench, we sat down and I braced myself for what he was about to tell me.

“Ok well a few years ago now old man Hutcherson lived here with his wife Olivia, they never left the house and I mean never! They grew their own crops and lived off the land, rumor has it that they even had a set of twins. A boy and a girl, but Olivia died in childbirth. Story goes that old man Hutcherson went insane after her death, he would walk through the town late at night muttering crazy things about how his kids killed his only love. Quite sad really. Anyway during the day he would still harvest all of his crops, he never sold them though causing people to wonder where all that food went, then they also wondered where his kids went.