Chapter Thirteen

*After debating whether or not I wanted to go here this early... let's just say... you're welcome. Also, I made the note in 'Blade' once before that the pictures I use for the characters don't always necessarily have to do with the chapter.*

•Callie•

•Callie•

I'm wiping down the counter when I see Gray's car pull into the parking lot outside of the diner.

A giddy feeling builds within me at the promise he made earlier this morning.

"I'm going on my lunch break, Roxie."

"Thirty minutes, sweetness, then I need you back," She gives me a pointed stare with a playful smirk.

"An hour?" I interlock my fingers and pout my lower lip out. "Please, Rox, pretty please?"

She sighs and shakes her head, "Forty five minutes." She points her finger in my direction, "No more. We'll be swamped as soon as lunch picks up. You know how it gets."

"Thank you!" I rush forward and plant a smooch on her cheek and she gives me a loose hug before turning back to counting out bills and change from the tip jar to divvy out amongst us employees.

"Yeah, yeah. You tell that boy I've got my eyes on him and he better not hurt you." Her eyes stay focused on the money in front of her but I freeze and stare at my kind boss.

"B-boy? What boy? There's no boy." I say a little bit too fast and defensively.

"Oh yeah?" She looks up and cocks an eyebrow just as the bell above the entrance rings, signaling Gray coming in. "I may be getting on up there in age, but I'm not stupid, Calista. Pretty girls like yourself don't kiss random strangers in cars before their shift." She winks and chuckles, making me laugh uneasily, quickly fleeing to the back entrance and escaping into the alley.

Are we really that dang obvious?

I pull the pack of smokes from my pocket and light up, inhaling deeply just as Gray makes his way through the back door to lean against the brick wall beside me.

He says nothing - his most common trait - instead choosing to stare at me with those intense grey eyes of his.

This close, with the sun beating down, I can see flecks of dark blue dotting around his irises.

His cinnamon spice scent invades my nostrils, overpowering the smell of cigarette smoke clouding the space between us.

I bring the cigarette to my lips and pull deeply on the filter, letting the nicotine flood my senses and make my head dizzy.

The dizziness may also be attributed to the fact that my innermost desire is standing beside me, looking sexy with his shirt halfway unbuttoned and his plump lips begging to be sucked and kissed.