Chapter 29

Wordcount: 3683

---

Harry and the other Aurors arrived in a matter of seconds at the edge of the city of Bristol. Despite it being the middle of the day, a thick mist covered the otherwise captivating streets. Black clouds coated the sky, threatening the Aurors with a downpour that might rain down on them at any moment. The group examined the scene and spotted a small number of pedestrians milling about before whatever storm was about to hit.

Abby set out to coordinate the rest into stakeout patterns around two of the houses they were about to visit. Harry wondered why they weren't just letting the possible targets know a threat might be coming for them.

"If we let them know beforehand, we might give away the fact that we're onto them," she explained when they were alone and making their way to the third house, where lived Jonathan Carver. When they arrived, they inspected the surroundings of the house in question. It was a simple cottage with little windows sidelining what Harry assumed was the living room. Beyond the backyard was the edge of a group of trees that led to a clearing about half a mile from there.

"Perfect," he whispered, conjuring a small tent over a number of dead branches, in perfect view of the Carver residence.

"I'll get the wards," said Abby, casting Disillusionment Charms around them for better protection.

After their preparations, the pair sat down on the edge of the tent, looking over the small backyard and into the living room of the cottage, where Jonathan Carver was apparently enjoying the company of two guests. Based on the fact that the television was on, Harry assumed these particular guests were muggles.

After a rather boring two hours of nothing out of the ordinary happening, Abby turned to Harry and asked, "So, how's married life treating you?"

"What?" asked Harry, too concentrated on Carver's activities to hear her.

"Well, we might be here a while, might as well entertain ourselves," she said.

"Er, it's great," he conceded, "I love her."

"Super interesting, Potter, very concise," she teased, rolling her eyes.

"Actually," he said hesitantly, "a couple of days ago we were discussing the idea of children," he told her.

Abby stared wide-eyed at Harry for a second before saying, "Wow, that's pretty neat, Potter."

"We're not sure yet, so calm down," he said, "I do think Ginny would want a couple more years as a professional player before becoming a mum."

"Makes sense, she's a great player," Abby said, "I'm actually a Harpies fan myself."

"Really?" asked Harry, "Well, I could get you tickets if you'd like," he told her.

"You would do that?" she exclaimed.

"Of course, what are friends for?" he assured her. After their conversation, silence ensued again. Hours passed, and Carver seemed to still be in perfect health, if not a little on the heavy side.

At seven o'clock, Harry produced a quick Patronus to let Ginny know he might be coming home very late in the evening. Abby chastised him for doing so, saying that Carver might have seen it. Rolling his eyes, Harry stowed his wand in his robes again. They only had to wait two more hours before the subject of their conversation called it a day and headed off to bed.

The mist had already settled in on them by that time, a thick blanket slithering its way through the roads and into the backyards. Visibility was poor at best. They could barely see the cottage by now, and their stakeout would become pointless soon enough. Harry was determined to catch the culprits, however, so he tried to recreate what he had done at the hospital with his uncle.