What's Done in the Dark...

This is harder than I thought. Mercedes thinks to herself as Sam lurks around the corner, spying on her and Puck.

"I don't know what kind of stuff the company is trying to pull but the true fans aren't buying it." Puck is saying, incensed.

"Puck, calm down. It's been three years and you're still tripping over Super Mario Bros.!. Why don't you go into game design and make improvements from the inside?" She pats his arm.

"I never thought of that." He says thoughtfully, leaning against the locker next to hers.

It's almost lunch and most of the day has been going well (with the exception of Stalker!Sam) but she really needs a break from his rambling.

"Well I'm going." She tries to slink away.

"Where?" He frowns and pulls her back by her elbow.

"To the library. To study. With Quinn. Like yesterday." Mercedes stops herself from spilling.

"I didn't know you were there with Q."

"She joined me after you left. We thought we could study better together." She can see his wheels turning and throws out the words she knows would scare him off. "Trig and Spanish are easier to do with another person. And history." She adds, knowing it's his most hated subject.

He backpedals fast. "Oh. That's good for you girls. I'm headin to the cafe. Maybe the weight room?" He flexes.

Mercedes smiles. "Don't pull anything important."

Puck grins. "Never that! Why don't you skip studying and come watch me?"

Mercedes' face freezes as panic tries to race across it. "Oh. No. Oh no. I really need to keep my grades up. And Quinn is probably waiting for me."

Puck pouts. "I thought we were supposed to spend the day together? Sharing you with Q is not spending the day together."

"Come over tonight." Mercedes throws out and immediately regrets.

"Come over?" He raises an eyebrow. "Can't believe little 'Cedes is inviting me over."

"Not like that! Daddy is out of town."

"Ooooh! Daddy's outta town?" Puck rubs his hands together in glee.

"Stop it, Puck!" Mercedes fights to keep the smile from her face but he sees it. "Daddy's in Vegas for a week. My mom has a wedding at nine."

"So we have until nine? I'm okay with that!" Puck leans over and kisses her.

She squirms out from beneath him. "No, she works until eight on Fridays normally but with the wedding, she has to book it to the event early so I probably won't see her until the morning."

"Oh. So we'll have a big ole house to ourselves until daylight comes?" He presses her against the lockers and leans into her, letting her feel just how much he likes the idea.

She gasps. "Um... no. We're going to do homework and hang. That's all." Her voice hitches on the last word.

"I'm okay with that, too. You keep forgetting that I like to just be with you, Mama." He lifts her chin up with one finger.

She blushes and smiles.

"See you in Trig. I'll be thinking about you all class long." He backs away slowly.

"You know we can sit together." It's easier to breathe with him farther away.

"I'm planning on you sittin in my lap."

"I'm not doing that, Puck."

He walks away, his big shoulders moving as he chuckles.

"I'm not!"