The History of Minke Fabanges PT2

"It's such a shame Mercy couldn't stay for dinner." Jeanette Chang says sadly while putting the dinner dishes in the dishwasher with her son.

He hands her a plate. "She said she had a movie night with Kurt and Rachel."

"I still don't understand why she couldn't eat."

"She and Finn said Kurt hates when people eat before being with him. Something about feeling fat for pigging out while the other person is picking at their food."

"That's silly!" Mrs. Chang says, shutting the door to the dishwasher.

Mike shrugs. "I'm about to head to the den to join the guys. Is there anything else you needed?"

She shakes her head. "No. But I'm proud of you."

"Why?!" He's incredulous as to the reason.

"Because of how brave you are. Because of how you went for your dreams. Your play. College. Mercy and Quinnie. Will they be around more now?"

Mike ducks his head in embarrassment. "I hope so. After... everything, - I hope we can get back to where we were."

His mother smiles softly. "I'm proud of you for that. You're a good boy, Mikey."

He hugs her hard. "Thanks, Mom."

She wipes away a tear before it falls. "Go. Go to your friends."

Mike grins and races to the den. He vaults over the couch and lands next to Finn and Rory. "What are we playing?"

"What else?" Puck asks, next to Joe on the loveseat. "Call of Duty!"

Sam and Blaine look up from the other sofa and give a shout of cheer at the words.

Mike shakes his head at his friends. He thinks about how blessed he is to have them. Even when they're dramatic enough for a soap opera. "Let's switch it up!"

"I agree." Blaine nods.

Mike gets up and switches out the game. When he's finished, he grabs a controller and resumes his seat.

"So you said you guys met when?" Finn asks.

Mike glances up for a moment. "Uh... we were three." He doesn't even pretend to misunderstand his tall friend.

"At school? Boring." Puck grins.

"Yep."

"So you were little when you met Quinn? Was she always... so Quinn-like?" Rory asks timidly.

Puck roars with laughter.

"Uh... yes and no." Mike answers honestly. "As a kid, she was sweet and nice. Kind of a background sort because of Laura."

"Who's Laura?" Joe questions.

"Her older sister. Really outgoing. Kinda perfect in the way all our parents wanted us to be. Quinn loves her sister but kinda resents her. You can tell." Mike shrugs. "But she had us. Laura didn't really have much to do with us because she was a year older than Marc and we were beneath her radar."

"Marc?" Rory is the one to ask.

"Mercy's older brother." Sam puts in.

Puck adds, "He's about three years older than her."

Rory nods.

Mike goes on. "Marc hung out with us but Laura really was his friend. I don't know why she married her husband. Everyone but Marc knew how she felt about him."

"Quinn and Mercy as sisters?" Sam shakes his head and laughs.

"Merce and I will be related by marriage one day." Mike smirks.