Chapter 10: Gone

Sometimes even the strongest of relationships will fall.

That's what I've always heard, but I never thought in a million years it would happen to my relationship.

"I swear Rob, half of those photos are photo shopped!"

"So some of them weren't?"

He visibly tenses as he utters those words. I can see his eyes glance back and forth from me, to the front door.

It's been an hour. On going bickering and shouting. I even had to let the dogs out, because they were clearly panicking from the screaming. I don't think they've ever heard us even speaking to each other in more than just a normal pitch.

Now they have.

"Rob, please don't leave." I tried, my heart aching as I stared at the magazine of me and a random guy that I have no memory of.

I was so close to breaking down on the floor. His face relaxed and softened. But, I could still see the fury and pain he's holding in. I could see that he was trying so hard not to yell at me.

Deep down I knew that he was incapable of yelling at me.

"Kristen, I thought we had each other's trust. I thought we both could sleep at night knowing that everything will be okay. I thought that we both promised and vowed that we wouldn't break that single, most important thread of our relationship."

His voice broke as he said that last sentence. We stood there in silence. Minutes. Maybe even hours. Hearts racing, threads breaking.

Finally he grabbed the magazine, and threw it forcefully into the trash. He came storming towards me as I instinctively backed away. He looked so broken, because of me. He gave me the house keys that he owned, and started walking towards the door. I was paralyzed where I was standing. He turned and looked at me as he opened the door. His face so pained and full of regret.

"Promises can be broken."

He whispered, just loud enough so I could hear.

"I love you."

That's the final thing he said to before he walked out on me.

I gasped awake, body trembling as raw emotions took over.

"Woah, what's wrong?" Rob questioned with a worried voice, his arms held out as he reached for me.

"Bad dream-m." I sniffled, feeling my body shiver with cold.

"What was it about?" Rob asked softly, pulling me to his chest.

"Apparently I cheated on you, but I didn't even know who that person was." I held onto his shirt tightly, feeling his hand rub soothing circles on my back.

"That's random." Rob laughed, kissing the top of my head. "But I know you wouldn't do something like that, neither would I."

"I know." I lifted my head to get a better look at him, feeling comfort as I gazed into his blue eyes.

"Go back to sleep, it's late, and I'll be here the whole night." Rob reassured, turning off the lamp on the night stand as he pulled the covers over both of our bodies.

I nodded, snuggling into his chest. His fingers ran through my hair, lulling me to sleep.

"I love you." He whispered right before slumber hit me.

I felt surrounded by warmth the whole night. That dreaded cold disappeared without me even realizing it.