Chapter 28: Buddies

Robert's POV

Nick?

Oh shoot, NICK!

Crap crap crap, what do I do?! My heart was pounding loudly in my ears and my breathing was uneven. If he knows that it's me it's game over.

He looked up and I looked down at my cart. I picked up a jar of pickles and pretended to look at it, hopefully he'll just walk past.

He pushed his cart down the aisle, closer to where I was currently standing. He didn't look much different than the last time I saw him, which was at the funeral.

Wait, if he's here in LA that means that his trip is over. Is he staying here now? Oh great.

Finally he pushed his cart all the way to me, he stopped by me and stared down at my legs. My heart was beating so loud I'm surprised he didn't hear it.

What in the world is he staring at? And why particularly my legs?

He finally looked up at me, "Hey uhm, could you move? I need those pretzels behind you."

Oh....oops. "Oh sorry."  I said and quickly pushed my cart the other direction, not even knowing where I was going.

He didn't notice me. I guess Steve was right about that. He's very oblivious. Maybe someday I could use that against him.

"Bob what the crap! I've been looking for you everywhere!"  I heard Tina shout and run up to me. She took a moment to catch her breath. "I literally thought you left me and drove my car back."

I laughed and apologized. "First of all I'm sorry, second of all I don't even have your car keys."

"Oh right. Well I got everything that I need, what about you?"  She said as she put a few more things into the cart.

I nodded and we headed over to the checkout. I looked around the store in search for Nick. I wonder why he's back in LA so early. Steve told me that he wouldn't come back for at least another month.

We paid for everything and headed out of the store. We spent at least 200 bucks on just snacks alone.

"Hey it's almost lunch time, do you want to go to lunch with me?"  Tina said out of the blue. I looked at her and then looked back at the road. "Sure I guess, where though?"

"I was thinking the new cafe by that shopping mall, I heard from friends that it's really good." She said as she pulled into the mall parking lot.

I chuckled, "We are already here? You didn't even give me a choice."  I said jokingly.

"You don't want to spend time with me?"  She said and winked.

"Can we get out of the car now?"

She laughed and opened the door. Her laugh is something that would grow on me. It is a beautiful sound.

What am I saying?

The cafe was cozy and cute. It had an ok selection of food, and it had very good coffee. We both ordered a salad and some coffee. We didn't tell each other before hand, seems like we have similar tastes.

"Hey I'm going over to Kristen's today to help her with some errands, she needs someone to watch Juniper and I was wondering if you would like to?"  Tina said as she wiped her hands with a napkin.

"She would be ok with that?"  I asked confused.

"Yeah she told me Juniper even asked if you could."  I smiled, she did?

"Sure."  I said keeping it simple, but deep down I was very excited.

"Kristen! I'm here!"  Tina said as she shouted through the door.

"Why don't you just knock?"  I said.

"I never do, that way she'll know it's me."

I rolled my eyes. Great logic.

A few seconds later the front door unlocked revealing Kristen. She was wearing a tank top and some yoga pants, that's the outfit she wears after working out.

"Hi there! Oh, Bob you came too?"  She said as she looked at me. I looked down at my shoes since her stare is making me blush. I didn't want her to see that.

"Yeah, uhm Tina said something about babysitting?"  She smiled and nodded she stepped away and allowed us to come inside the house.

I looked around the house that I once called mine. The house that Juniper grew up in. The house that me and Kristen bought together and made so many memories.

I took a deep breath, trying not to cry when my eyes landed on a photo that I took on the day Juniper was born. It was a little selfie of all three of us a few hours after she arrived.

I smiled remembering that moment and how Juniper would cling onto Kristen from the beginning.

"Bob!"  A tiny voice shouted from across the house. Tiny feet pounded against the wooden stairs, heading right down stairs.

The owner of those footsteps and that voice came dashing towards me, hugging my leg when she finally reached me.

I chuckled and kneeled down to match her height. I held out my arms for a hug and she gladly took it.

Looks like someone is excited to see me.

Finally an update! 😂

💖840 words💖