Chapter 37: Butterflies

(Song used in the chapter 😉)

Robert's POV

"So what? Are you guys like dating now?" Juniper said absentmindedly as she placed wooden blocks on top of each other. My eyes widened slightly at her question, dropping all of my blocks on the ground and scooting closer to her.

"What, when, who, and how did you hear about this?"

"About you and Tina? I mean it's sorta obvious." She snickered and continue building her tower.

Wow, she's very observant for a four year old. I didn't even know she knew dating is.

"Did someone tell you about this?" I questioned, watching as her face turned into one of mischief.

"Maybe, but you have to guess." She said, holding up a block and waving it in my face to taunt me.

"Oh, Juni you're gonna regret that." I whispered, launching myself at her. I picked up her tiny frame and started to furiously tickle her. Her frantic giggles started to fill up the toy room, my smile growing bigger from the sound.

"Ok!— I'll tell!" I retracted my hands and let her breathe for a second. I watched as she tried to hide her huge smile, but failing miserably.

"You're good." She let out, still a bit out of breath. I laughed and picked her up from the ground to place her in my lap. She snuggled into my chest a bit and then took in a deep breath, "Tina might of told me, but she told me not to tell you, but I just did so....oopsie?" She popped the "O". My heart melted from her cuteness, but my mind soon took in what she said.

"When did Tina tell you this?"

She put her finger up to her mouth, shifting her face into one of concentration.

"Hm...I think the day that you guys hung out. She told me you asked her out on a date." Does she mean the movies? I mean I didn't ask her since she asked me first. Was it a date? Does it count as one? I'm not sure, but it can't mean we're dating now. Can it?....

"Juni, honey, we aren't dating. We're just really good friends. Like me and your mommy." Her face lit up at the mention of her mom. She randomly got up from my lap and started to clean up the blocks that were scattered all over the floor from when I tickle attacked her.

"What are you doing? Don't you want to have a tower building contest?" I said, watching as the little girl in front of me shoved the pieces into a box. She turned towards me slightly, not looking at me, "Yeah, but I wanna show you something."

Hi Bob,

Thanks for babysitting on such a short notice. I know we haven't been getting along very well lately, but I wanted to make it up to you by baking this. I hope you like it.

(Share some with Juniper please).

-Kristen

Read the note. I grinned a tiny bit, feeling a bit happier than earlier. I looked over at Juniper, who was attempting to cut the pie which was apple pie; my favorite type.

When she was satisfied with her work she carefully took the slice out and placed it on a blue plate, pushing it over to me. I thanked her and told her to sit down. She shook her head and told me she needed to wash her hands first since, "being clean is important". Man, I love her a lot.

I turned my attention to the pie that sat in front of me. I could smell the cinnamon and apples within it; it smelled heavenly. It brought back the memories of when I would help her make things like this. I wonder if she has Juniper help her now. Just imagining it makes my heart fill with nostalgia and pain.