Chapter 34- Here Goes Nothing

Emma's PoV

I rushed as soon as I could, almost forgetting Leo back in the park in the process. Running up to my room I bump into Carter. He looks harrowed and tensed. Man he must've really rummaged around to find that box.

I couldn't control my urge anymore, and it looked like Carter wasn't anywhere near opening his mouth so I just started blurting. "Where was it? What's in it? Is it big or small or fat or tall? Is it harmful? Is it shiny? How does it look? You gotta tell me Carter! What's in it!"

"Emma!"

"What?" I ask gasping for air. "Calm down" Carter shakes my shoulder. He takes in a deep breath and looks down at me.

Obvious height difference duh

"It's the letter" Carter states.

"It's a letter?" I ask perplexed.

"Not 'a' letter Emma, it's 'the' letter" he repeats and I think a little and then after pressing into my senses I finally figure it out.

Meredith's suicide letter.

"Have you read it yet" Carter nods 'no' and I nod in reply.

"Then let's" Carter guides me towards it.

"Wait!" I say a little too loudly. "Where was it?" I ask pointing to the box. "There's some weird art piece in Leo's office that looks like a stack of boxes". Smart, hiding in plain sight.

Carter and I both take a seat on the bed. He pulls out a white box and opens it to reveal an old yellowish looking letter. It's probably lost its colour surviving wherever it has been these past few years.

I take it in my hand gently and carefully. Unrolling the peice of paper with the utmost delicacy, Carter and I look at each other one last time and begin to read its contents.

Dear Katy,

I can't even begin to tell how much it hurts me to write this letter to you. You have always helped me in everything I did but I no longer know how to ask you for your help. You see if I did, then you could be harmed and I will never let any harm come to you.

There is no justification that I can produce that will support the actions I am about to commit but the pain won't be of not being able to tell the truth or leaving it all behind, the pain is of leaving you my Katy-Kat.

You will hate me for being weak, you might even hate me for not providing you with an explanation, but I don't know what else I can do. I see no other way to rid myself of these constant voices in my head, just please know that I was never mad, no matter what daddy says, don't listen to him Katy. Please don't give into their lies and their tales.

There is only one other person who knows what's going on, together we tried to uncover the evils of our families but you can't fight evil without it consuming you whole first. I cannot tell you his name in case this letter comes into the wrong hands.

I know you are my older sister Katherine and I know you always promised to protect me, but now it's my turn to protect you and I will happily do it. The only thing that matters now is that I have and will always love you.

                                                   Your little sister,
                                                          Mer-bear

There were tears cascading down my cheeks. My hand clasped over my mouth and before I knew it I was choking and full on sobbing. Carter wrapped his hands around my shaky shoulders and kept me close to his chest.