Chapter Three

Between two tall vases that were part of a display case, I spotted a tall and slim woman behind the counter and bent over, picking something up that could fit in the palm of your hand. Though, I could not tell what it was.

The woman had long, dark brown hair like me. The only difference was that mine was short. She wore what was a professional outfit. A black, long-sleeved shirt, a short skirt that matched with the shirt, and black heels. She also had on makeup, which made me doubt that was my mom. Back to when she was still living with us, she never wore any form of makeup. At least, not that I remember.

Amy was seeing the same thing because she said, "Mama?"

I locked eyes with hers. "Did you say...mama?"

She pointed with a little finger at the window. No. At the woman. "Mama!"

I shook my head, pushing away any suspicions that I had of the lady and gently pulled down her hand. "I am sorry, Amy. That cannot be her. It is impossible. She left town because she could not stand living in the same town with us."

But Amy was not convinced. Either that, or she just did not understand me. She began pouting and moving her tiny body up and down. She usually does that when she really desires something, and what she wanted - what she needed - was her mother.

I did not blame her for wanting to see Mom again. Like me, she wanted to go back to the old days. The days that we did not have to live in fear. She wanted to be held in Mom's arms and rest her tender head on her chest. She wanted to hear Mom sing her favorite song to her. It was a song that our mom made up herself.

Want to know the lyrics? What is that? You do not? Well, too bad! I am suffering, so you will be suffering with me!

The song is called 'The Terta.'

I am a Terta,
I am half-human,
Half-monster,
I am a Terta,
I act like a human when I am a monster,
I am a Terta,
I am a monster when I act like a human,
I do not know what is wrong with me,
Oh, wait,
I am a Terta,

There are some things,
I can do,
That a human can do,
There are some things,
I can do,
That a monster can do,
And there are some things that I cannot do,
That humans can do,
And monsters do,
But that does not matter,

'Cause I am a Terta,
I am a Terta,
I am a Terta,
I am half-human,
Half-monster,
I am a Terta,
Yeah, a Terta,
I am a human,
And I am a monster,

And I belong
Where do I belong?,
Where do Tertas belong?,
Where do I belong?

Do I really need to explain to you readers what a Terta is? The lyrics say it all!

Honestly, I do not know why my sister is in love with that song out of all the songs out there that are sweet and catchy.

The woman who looked like Mom was now standing behind the counter and had a stack of cash in her hand. The cash register was open, and she was counting the money. That was the moment that I realized that Amy and I had to go and see that lady. Not because we wanted to make absolute sure that she was our own mother. But because she was holding cash. Everybody in Forlot or who has Forlot knowledge knows for a fact that dollars and cents of any type are illegal.

You could go to jail for life if you are caught with even a penny! Yeah. It is that serious.

I pushed open the front door of the shop, and the door made a ringing sound because there was a small bell towards the top of it. As I stepped in, the woman had her back facing me and Amy and was already heading to the back that was covered by colorful curtains.

I gasped and immediately let go of the door. "Wait!" I pleaded.

But it was too late. She disappeared.

I was deeply saddened. I wanted - no, needed - to know why she had that money. After all, she was committing a crime.

Questions and suggestions swirled around in my thoughts.

Was she a scammer? Scamming customers out of their money?

Nah. That cannot be. The customers would not have money on them.

Was she smuggling the money then? That seemed like the only logical answer.

Should I wait until she returns to confront her? Tell her what she is doing wrong? But that would not do any good, would it? Should I leave and inform the leaders of Forlot?

I was not sure what to exactly do. However, I knew that she was not my mother. Mom was not a bad guy.

"Hello? May I help you?"

Another lady was now by the counter. She had her hands on the countertop and was smiling.

I pointed at myself. "Are you talking to me?"

"Yes, young man," she said. "Welcome to Donna's Antique Shop. That is the name of this store."

My eyes bulged. Was this for sure? Or was it a coincidence?

Let me tell you that I do not believe in coincidences.

I walked up to the counter. "Can I ask you a question?" I asked the lady.

"Of course. Anything."

Amy was peering over my shoulder and looking at the dolls and other antiques.

"There was a lady who was right where you are. Could you tell me her name?"

"She is the owner of this shop. Her full name is Donna Blossom-Stanford."

Stanford. That was my last name. And Blossom. That was originally Mom's last name.

So that only meant one thing.

That woman was Mom!