Chapter Thirty-Four

I had to think fast. I did not want my mom, Milo, Gabi, Vincent, or the other dolls to be awakened by the girl's ear-piercing screams. So without giving it much thought, I quickly raised my hand and slapped her face. Though, I made sure to not do it hard.

I let go of her so that she could stumble back. She had on a concerned look as she stared at me and rubbed where I had slapped her. The area where my hand made contact with her was now red.

"Ow," Jade said. "Why does my cheek hurt?"

"I am sorry that I had to slap you..." I started.

"What?! You slapped me?!"

I placed my finger over my lips. "Shh! Any more loud sounds, and you will surely wake up the entire neighborhood."

Her face saddened as if she were disappointed in herself - and she was - and covered her mouth. Her words were muffled, but I could still understand her.

"Gosh, I am so ashamed. I am so, so sorry."

I took a step towards her. "Do not feel ashamed. Please. If you do, then I will too."

"But you warned me earlier that I have to keep it down. By the way, what did I say to you that would cause me to be loud about it?"

"Actually...it is not what you said. You screamed, Jade."

"Screamed?" She uncovered her mouth. "Why the heck would I...oh." Her face became pale. "Oh, no."

"I take it that you know why you did."

"I...I think that I do, Jackson. But before I tell you...can I ask you a question?"

"Absolutely. I am all ears."

"Was I not responding to you and just...staring at you blankly?"

"After a while, yes. Although, you were not staring at me. For some reason, you were staring at my wall." I pointed at my wall. More precisely, the hole that she created.

Jade followed my gaze until she finally noticed the hole. "Oh my. How long has that hole been there?"

"Not long. As a matter of fact, you made that hole."

She let out a gasp and again, covered her mouth. Her legs began quivering, and I decided that she had to sit before her legs gave way.

I gently grasped her arms and helped her to my bed. I insisted that she should sit, and she did so without protest. I sat next to her and gave her a good rub on her back.

"I am not mad at you for making that hole," I said.

Jade wrapped her arms around her, hugging herself. "You sure sound like it."

"Well, I am not, and that is the truth. Besides, it is hard to be mad at you."

"Why is that, Jackson? You do not know me that well."

"No, I do not. But I do know a few things just by looking at you."

"Really? Like what?"

"For one thing...you are beautiful."

Her cheeks became bright red, and she giggled. "You are flirting with me."

I do not know why, but I had this desire to flirt with you. I guess because I had never seen a girl that was...her.

I cannot describe how she was different from the other girls at my school, but what I can tell you is that I had feelings for her.

Was she the one? Flirting with her was the only way to find out.

"Your hair is very unique, Jade," I continued on. "Curly and such beautiful colors. Heh. Jade. Even your name is unique."

Her giggles got louder, and she gave me a playful shove. "Stop it, Jackson. Oh my gosh. I have never been this embarrassed before."

"You should not feel embarrassed. You should be flattered."

She rubbed her chin with a finger. "Why?"

"Have you ever had a boyfriend?"

"No. Back where I lived, all the boys my age either hated me or were not attracted to me."

"That is too bad. But you know what? You are in luck."

"I am?"

"Yes. I...I really like you."

"Oh. I really like you too."

I gasped. "You do?"

"Of course. Even though that we just met, I can tell that I can trust you."

I did not say anything and waited for to continue. Mostly because I kept saying yes inside my mind.

Yes, yes, yes!

"Keep treating me right, and you will be on your way to being my best friend."

My brain immediately stopped repeating the same word, and I had to keep my smile from turning upside down so that the girl would not realize that I was sad.

"You...you do not think of me as something...much more?" I asked her.

"Hmm...nope. Just a friend."

"...oh."

"Did you expect me to say something else, Jackson?"

"No, no. It is fine. Just...fantastic."

"Okay. Good." Jade leaped off my bed. "I should probably repair the hole in your wall. It is the least that I can do."

"Nah. Do not bother, Jade. I can tell my mother in the morning. She can call a worker who is good at walls. Besides, we both need our beauty rests. Here."

I jumped off my bed and made my way towards the closet. I opened it, searched through it, and pulled out a pink sleeping bag.

"Why do you have a pink sleeping bag?" Jade asked.

"Why else? For sleepovers or people like you who need something to sleep on."

"I can always sleep on the floor."

"Nah. You deserve better." I mumbled the next part so she could hear it. "Even though that you rejected me."

I rolled out the sleeping bag and laid it on the floor. Jade climbed into it and stared up at the ceiling until she fell asleep.

As I climbed back into bed, I heard her talking in her sleep.

"No...no! You are not taking me back! Leave me and my powers alone!"